Rotisserie/"Rack" builds

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Sherman Parish
356 Fan

Rotisserie/"Rack" builds

#1 Post by Sherman Parish »

Does anyone have any build pics or a website showing a rotisserie or "Rack" build for a 356. I'm debating something like the modified spinning engine stand rotisserie in the video below vs. "The Rack" concept from the Emory shop photos. I obviously don't want to twist the car, but I really need something I can turn and manage in my garage space by myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpIXheN37g0

What are the disadvantages of using a rotisserie vs. "The Rack"? The rotisserie appears to be A LOT easier to manage, but Im sure the Emory guys had very good reasons for building a tool like the "Rack". Are the common rusty spots on a 356 more accessible with a "Rack" vs. a rotisserie?

My '65 is completely stripped, so it should be pretty easy to manage on a rotisserie like the one in the video. If that guy can spin the assembled car w/ the engine and rolling gear installed that easily then my car should be no problem. Looking at the unibody of my car, I just can't tell where the rear spindle for the rotisserie should tie into the car.

Where are the best points to tie into the rear of the unibody? I've seen two different "Rack" builds that tie into two different points in the rear. One looked like it was tied into the torsion tube from underneath the car, and the other was bolted into the torsion tube from the springplate covers.

Is there a restoration book that covers a rotisserie job type of restoration? I'm pretty familiar with the 911 unibody, but my 356 knowledge is very limited at best. This is my first 356 and I don't even have the advantage of being the one who disassembled the car.

TIA

Jack Walter
356 Fan

Re: Rotisserie/"Rack" builds

#2 Post by Jack Walter »

Here's a picture of my car on the rotisserie - they tied into the bumper mounting holes and upper shock mounts at the rear of the car - more pictures in my smugmug pages.

Chad Comeau
356 Fan
Tag: Upstate NY

#3 Post by Chad Comeau »

The "Rack" plans are available at Emory Motorsports.
http://www.emorymotorsports.com/workshop

It cost about $300 to build and it actually works!
1054.JPG
Chad T. Comeau

Bruce Baker
356 Fan

#4 Post by Bruce Baker »

Coupes 'rack' or 'rotisserie' with more forgiveness. Brace open 356s carefully.
My personal theory is that if a 356 can be turned over with mounts attached at bumper brackets, it probably doesn't need to be turned over.... so 35 years ago, I guessed at the COG of a bare shell both open and closed A-B-C 356s, averaged those guesses and built mounting ends that attach to the strongest parts of a 356, front and rear.
IMG_3133.JPG
IMG_3132.JPG
IF you are going this far, please read Jim Kellogg's book, Ron Roland's book and the Registry's Tech and Resto Guide...all with mentions of rotisseries and plans thereto. Outfits like Eastwood (and others) sell adjustable rotisseries that may be adaptable to a 356 and be better than self-construction, but that's not within my experience.

Mike Klapac
356 Fan

#5 Post by Mike Klapac »

Sherman Parish wrote:Does anyone have any build pics or a website showing a rotisserie or "Rack" build for a 356. I'm debating something like the modified spinning engine stand rotisserie in the video below vs. "The Rack" concept from the Emory shop photos. I obviously don't want to twist the car, but I really need something I can turn and manage in my garage space by myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpIXheN37g0

What are the disadvantages of using a rotisserie vs. "The Rack"? The rotisserie appears to be A LOT easier to manage, but Im sure the Emory guys had very good reasons for building a tool like the "Rack". Are the common rusty spots on a 356 more accessible with a "Rack" vs. a rotisserie?

My '65 is completely stripped, so it should be pretty easy to manage on a rotisserie like the one in the video. If that guy can spin the assembled car w/ the engine and rolling gear installed that easily then my car should be no problem. Looking at the unibody of my car, I just can't tell where the rear spindle for the rotisserie should tie into the car.

Where are the best points to tie into the rear of the unibody? I've seen two different "Rack" builds that tie into two different points in the rear. One looked like it was tied into the torsion tube from underneath the car, and the other was bolted into the torsion tube from the springplate covers.

Is there a restoration book that covers a rotisserie job type of restoration? I'm pretty familiar with the 911 unibody, but my 356 knowledge is very limited at best. This is my first 356 and I don't even have the advantage of being the one who disassembled the car.

TIA
Hi Sherman,

I posted some information on my rack build here:http://porsche356registry.org/356talk/t ... hilit=RACK

There is some good information as other members shared some of their rack builds as well. Mine is still holding up!

Sherman Parish
356 Fan

#6 Post by Sherman Parish »

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. The pics in the threads posted really helped me understand where the rotisserie/rack ties into the car chassis.
Bruce Baker wrote:My personal theory is that if a 356 can be turned over with mounts attached at bumper brackets, it probably doesn't need to be turned over....
Thanks. This is a really good point. I just spent the last hour crawling around the car, and honestly, I don't think it needs to go on a rotisserie at all. I'm pretty sure I can get to everything on it that I need to repair with the right dolly, a floor jack, and/or a makeshift lift. The car was dipped by the PO, so I can see everything. There just isn't that much rust in it.
Bruce Baker wrote:IF you are going this far, please read Jim Kellogg's book, Ron Roland's book and the Registry's Tech and Resto Guide...all with mentions of rotisseries and plans thereto.
Just ordered the books from Amazon. Thanks again.

Mike Klapac
356 Fan

#7 Post by Mike Klapac »

Sherman,

Here's one I built a couple of weeks ago for my 914. VERY simple and cheap, but it takes two people to turn it on it's side. I built it low and tight to the car to save on materials and space. I can jack up the car and place tall jack stands under the framework to lift it up.
Attachments
914 010.jpg
914 004.jpg
914 007.jpg

#8 Post by Guest »

Here are a couple more....mine included.
http://porsche356registry.org/356talk/1/24533.html

Tom Perazzo
356 Fan
Tag: It's only metal...

#9 Post by Tom Perazzo »

I modified the Emory rack dimensions so all the angles can be cut at the same angle. I can rotate it and slide it around by myself fairly easily. I've noticed that the car got lighter after removing undercoating and paint! Email me if anyone is interested in dimensions. Pictures are below in the following thread:
http://porsche356registry.org/356talk/4 ... ml?start=0

Tom Perazzo
1964 SC Coupe (under restoration)
www.ZalexIndustries.com

Mark Tirpak
356 Fan

#10 Post by Mark Tirpak »

0928101133.jpg
0928101136.jpg
Although I see that you will not be using a rotisserie now I thought I would post these pics of what I did to mount this 53 Coupe on my rack. The rotisserie itself was purchased from Greg Smith Equipment.....cheap I might add...and it is spun by a worm gear driven hand crank at one end.

Using a stock transmission/motor mount I bolted a 3/8 plate to it welded a cross bar and then attached a stanchion that mounts to the front trans mount on the back of the tunnel. Then added lengthening arms to go back to the brackets that were supplied in the kit

For the front I made plates that inserted into the torsion tubes using round stock welded to the plates and adding a receiver to accept the rotisserie brackets that were supplied with the kit. There is also 2 threaded rods traveling through the torsion tubes to pull the brackets together.

After making this "contraption" I looked through R. Rolands book "RESTORED BY HAND" and to my surprise there was one very similar to mine but much more complicated using alot more metal. I am a believer in less is more.

I posted this for anyone else to use for a format.....it works fantastic!

Stephen Masefield
356 Fan

#11 Post by Stephen Masefield »

I was very fortunate to get a hold of Tom Perazzo's plans (see above - THANK YOU TOM !) which are slightly modified to make angle cuts easier - I built mine in a few days at under $200 raw steel costs - bolt hole aligmement is a challange - measure once twice and then start over ;-)

Tipping is easy - two people is best, but as the centre of gravity is good, it means I could do it alone...I also made a steel prop just in case, I don't think it would ever role back as it sits very firmly, but .... !
Attachments
Cradle4.jpg
Cradle3.jpg
Cradle1.jpg
Steve
'57 Coupe
'61 Sunroof Coupe
'79 911SC Targa (Stupidly sold)
'23 Subaru BRZ (poor mans Porsche)
Ford Diesel to haul 'stuff'

Manuel Tolentino
356 Fan

#12 Post by Manuel Tolentino »

Jack Walter wrote:Here's a picture of my car on the rotisserie - they tied into the bumper mounting holes and upper shock mounts at the rear of the car - more pictures in my smugmug pages.

Is there a place where i can get/buy plans for this type of rotisserie?

Thanks in advance!

George Nostrant
356 Fan

#13 Post by George Nostrant »

Manuel,

I found plans on the Internet, just search Rotesserie. Found a guy who worked at a steel supply shop and he provided the buy and cut information and step by step weld up process. Mine worked great I will try and enclose a photo. I was doing a coupe so mounted the car to the bumper attachments.

George
Attachments
image.jpeg

tom collingwood
356 Fan

#14 Post by tom collingwood »

Anybody have the emory measurements?
I started to build one from their website and now it is no longer on their website.

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#15 Post by Martin Bruechle »