Windshield installation

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Alan Close
356 Fan

Windshield installation

#1 Post by Alan Close »

Tips on when and how to insert the aluminum strip.

Alan Close
356 Fan

Re: Windshield installation

#2 Post by Alan Close »

H

Alan Close
356 Fan

#3 Post by Alan Close »

Tips on when and how to insert the aluminum spacer.

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dave Wildrick »

You have to insert it into its groove in the rubber gasket BEFORE you try to put the windshield in place.
You need lube and strong fingers to get the J-shaped "hook" to engage the groove. Some use vaseline, but I have usually used soapy water.
I have also used a soft plastic-jawed very short ratchet-type bar clamp to gradually squeeze the aluminum piece into its groove, to avoid damaging the shiny aluminum surface.
See: https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tool ... 62122.html

Then you need a soapy water lubed nylon cord, about the diameter of parachute cord, wrapped all the way around the rubber channel that ends up inside the car--overlapping the ends of the cord and gradually pulling it to the inside of the metal windshield surround. It helps if a partner gently pushes on the glass as you pull the ends.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dave Wildrick »

Here's the link to the Registry's Troubleshooting and Repair file on this:
https://porsche356registry.org/article/117
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#6 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Also if using a new trim piece you will need to bend it to correct curvature as you go. Or it will end up pulling the seal away from the glass and make it nearly impossible to install the windshield. New trim strips will be longer so you will need to trim at some point. I did it near end of installation by using a modern Silicone Trivet "Hotplate" between glass and trim so I didn't slip and mar the glass with my dremel. Prior to installation mark center of windshield and center of opening with washable marker. This makes it easier to position the windshield for install.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

#7 Post by Dave Wildrick »

Doug McDonnell wrote: New trim strips will be longer so you will need to trim at some point.
My new trim pieces from Stoddard's were each about 1/2 inch longer than the old ones. It's a good idea to keep your old trim pieces and check the length against the new ones to determine how much you need to trim.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#8 Post by Wes Bender »

...and trim both halves by an equal amount. Otherwise the joint will be off center. (Saw a "colorful" shop in Tucson trim one the wrong way. Cost them an extra piece of trim to get it right.)
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....