Home after 18 years at the paint shop!

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Jason Lindquist
356 Fan

Home after 18 years at the paint shop!

#1 Post by Jason Lindquist »

Time to reassemble. It's been off the road since 1972. Going to be looking for lots of advice:

Re-chrome or paint the rims?

Any good chrome shops in San Diego area?

Anyone have use/need for late 60's Pirelli tires?

Vendors for carpet and headliner?

Install the interior myself?

Thanks for the help!!
Attachments
IMG_2244.JPG

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

Re: Home after 18 years at the paint shop!

#2 Post by John Lindstrom »

Congratulations Jason! My advice: Continue to be very, very patient. Protect all painted surfaces within reasonable proximity of what you will be working on. Remember physics: Move very, very slow and make very small mistakes, if you move fast you increase the probability of making very big mistakes. The color black is particularly unforgiving. Anything you plan on doing to the paint, always test on a very small inconspicuous area. Ask me how I know.

I have a strong personal distaste for chrome rims. Aluminum looks good to me, and so do the painted rims.

More advice to follow as you progress :)

JohnPierce
356 Fan

#3 Post by JohnPierce »

Congratulations! Tell us the story of 18 years at the paint shop.
1963 B T6 Project

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dan Epperly »

I use Pacific Plating down in the Midway District, Steve takes the stuff to TJ. They do good work, I've used him for years and my chrome has held up well. You can negotiate price with him, too.
You can get kits from Autos International. I used their carpet kit, but was able to use my original interior panels. I had Thomas do my seats, he has his own shop in Sorrento Valley.
Do the work yourself, you'll save tons of money and when it's done you'll know how to fix anything on the car and can take pride in your work.
What part of town you in. I'm in Mid City.

Jason Lindquist
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jason Lindquist »

Thanks for the replies! Short version on the time in the paint shop is, my Dad ordered/bought the car in 1963. Broke the crank, added engine upgrades in 1967. A piston collapsed and he parked it in 1972. 30+ years later, he finally retired and wanted to Outlaw his car. Took it apart and went to his high school painter, Davis Auto Body. My dad got cancer and passed away in 2005. I had a son in 2014. Mr. Davis passed away in 2015. His son finished the body work. The car only had minor rust at the lower door/fender area. All rusted metal has been replaced, straightened and finished w/ lead filler, where needed. Thanks again for the advice!