356 for the Memory of my Father

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Jules Dielen
356 Fan

Re: 356 for the Memory of my Father

#76 Post by Jules Dielen »

you are indeed wasting your time with 11560. It is not your dad's car. It is also not the 8th 356 sold in N. America, there are dozens and dozens before that car. What did you base your research on?

Also, please enlighten me, why are 3.25 x 16 slotted wheels wrong for a 1952 1500S?
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#77 Post by Mark Sabbann »

Adam Wright wrote:Jules,
I think after 5 pages of this you can just come to terms with the fact that this guy may in fact be a pigeon.
+1
Or the 'prig' he'd rather not be: "I'd rather drive a plastic junker than be a prig."

I don't have an IQ of 145 so I had to look up the term 'prig', a noun: "a person who displays or demands of others pointlessly precise conformity, fussiness about trivialities, or exaggerated propriety, especially in a self-righteous or irritating manner."

Add to that, the pervasive 'poor me' thread. We had a guy like that here on the Forum a few years ago, boasting about paying to have a hot rod silver coupe built. He thought his car was the best thing since siped tires. Then he left the sandbox. Took his toys and went home. No one bought the braggadocio.
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

Eric Marshall Green
356 Fan

#78 Post by Eric Marshall Green »

Jules, so how can I get the vin of my father's car? I had a guy in Austria insist he got the number through a Porsche insider whom he would not name.

Besides, the other car has beehive tail lights.
I'd rather drive a plastic junker than be a prig.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#79 Post by Jules Dielen »

Eric, you must think i am a complete and utter idiot after all that. Enjoy your trip in you replica.
Jules

Eric Marshall Green
356 Fan

#80 Post by Eric Marshall Green »

Jules, don't any of you have a sense of humor? Don't you tease a bit? You would last about an hour in Maine. Maybe we are different here, but we joke around. Life is dire enough in these parts. What, pray tell, did I say now that pissed you off?

I just want to find the vin to my father's car and I want find out the correct color for a 1956 Mann oil filter canister. Beyond that I though we were having a pretty good time just goofing around. No?

Anyway, he is the truth. Here is my VW pan!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 11.35.40 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 11.10.04 AM.jpg

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#81 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Eric Marshall Green wrote:I hope to cross into Canada by the Blue Water Bridge at Sarnia, then back in US at 1000 Islands Bridge. I'm picking up my old friend Kris in Watertown, New York. We drove all over New England in 1975 in my 1956 356A 1600S. He is dying of Parkinson's D. and we want to relive our driving days together one last time.

Why do the gauges look retro? If you send me nice real ones I'd be delighted to put them in.

As far as I know, absolutely no VW platform or parts. 356s never look quite right built that way, do they?
Wow Only took 6 pages for the lie to be out in the open. If it is indeed the truth. I have never had a Replica so wouldn't know if that is a VW platform.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#82 Post by James Davies »

Eric Marshall Green wrote:But many bits on my car are one-off custom like the steering column, engine, dash and interior, gas filler, etc. DK bought the correct fluted lenses in Germany, and most of the badging comes of my dad's 1952 or my 1956 356.
Of the 3 Reutter badges you have in your photo, 2 are modern reproductions, but the faded aluminum one with the counter-sunk holes is a very rare original used on cars in Feb/March 1953 and again on cars Aug 1953 through Oct 1954 in N. America, and through the end of pre-A production in Europe. None of those are from a 1952 car.

Also, the aluminum PORSCHE script looks original. How many posts are on the back? If there are 7 hollow posts, it is 1950-53. If there are 5 solid posts, then it is 1954-55.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#83 Post by James Davies »

As for the chassis number of your father's car, it would have to be somewhere between 11361 and 11778 based on the large export bumpers and that it is a bent-window model. This production range is roughly May 1952 through Sep 1952.

Eric Marshall Green
356 Fan

#84 Post by Eric Marshall Green »

Thanks, James. Realize I left home at 16 because of my father's severe alcoholism. So, everything is from my memory. I just figured the Reutter badge had to be from his 1952 coupe. He had it repainted black in about 1954, and he never replaced the badge. So it was a guess.

Yes, the others are reproductions and I wish I knew about the Reutter guy who sells originals, but at the time I did not.

The front script is from my 1956 which I gave two coats of Kemp's gold.

Cheers!

Oh, the number I was given was 11560. No idea if it is correct or not, but I keep trying. Ever really missed anyone? I miss my father every day. That is 37 years.

Photo of my dad.
Attachments
MarshallTuned.jpg

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#85 Post by Jules Dielen »

so let me get this straight. You are having a movie made about your dad about the 52 he picked up in Germany and got handed over to him by Dr Porsche himself, had a one off race engine and aluminum doors and lids and you don't even have the correct VIN? All based on what 'I had a guy in Austria who got it from another guy' told you? If I told you i was told by a guy the moon is made of the finest Swiss cheese, would you publish it too? I mean, it looks like it has holes, so it must be true

The car you based your story on (11560) was a 1500N and did not come with any aluminum body panels. It also was not the 8th porsche delivered to N America as your story states. It may be the 58th or 98th or 128th but i can absolutely guarantee 100% it is not the 8th.

Unless your dad went by an alias (because of all the patents etc), he bought the car used from a guy named Robert. Robert from Canada. Not Ferry Porsche from Stuttgart.

What else did you dream up? What is the vin of his T5? Could it be he ordered it through the tourist delivery program and you and your family got the usual factory tour that was part of it?
Last edited by Jules Dielen on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jules

C J Murray
356 Fan

#86 Post by C J Murray »

Eric or Marshall or whoever he is has some interesting "issues" if I read his website correctly. I imagine he loves the attention he is getting here so enjoy the banter. For those who get mad when posters are not clinical and serious maybe the moderators could open a forum for Mr. Copperthite and Mr. Green and possibly others called Alternative Universe Forum. Do we need a place for discussions that are just too far out there for the Off Topic Forum?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#87 Post by Mark Sabbann »

Eric Marshall Green wrote:Realize I left home at 16 because of my father's severe alcoholism. So, everything is from my memory.
Eric Marshall Green wrote:This is completely obsessional for me.
Eric Marshall Green wrote:...to honor my one hero Sir Stirling Moss.
So Eric, what's the point of this obsessive tribute to your alcoholic father that you abandoned at 16 when your one hero is Sir Stirling Moss?
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

Eric Marshall Green
356 Fan

#88 Post by Eric Marshall Green »

Love. Love for my father. I did not abandon him, I left home.

The vin number was given to me recently. As stated, it is likely wrong, but I hoped it might lead to the correct number. Maybe one or two of you could stop the sandbox bullshite and actually help me find the vin of my father's car? That would be so Christian of you.

It was not Dr. Porsche but Ferry Porsche.

The movie is about my making the car for my father's memory and driving it across the country and will include some interesting people. But I'm not the producer, or the director, or the cameraman, etc. I'm just in it.

Maybe you'll find this funny. Jeff Zwart (I'm sure you do not know who he is) came to pick up my print in his Carrera 6. The funny bit? It wouldn't fit!
Attachments
IMG_6198 copy 2.jpg

Eric Marshall Green
356 Fan

#89 Post by Eric Marshall Green »

And why not check the old race records and you can see the day my father was beaten in his MG by Max Hoffmann, and therefore ordered his racing coupe from Ferry Porsche. The company in Germany was tiny them and my mother spoke German.

Am I dreaming this up?
Attachments
51eq1.jpg

Eric Marshall Green
356 Fan

#90 Post by Eric Marshall Green »

James, I cannot check the number of posts because the badging is in California about to be mounted. Can you help me find the true vin number of my father's 1952 coup?. Seems you are very knowledgeable. I'll look at the photos for posts. My guess is 5, but it seems longer by an inch than the usual reproduction front lettering. DK thought it was earlier.