356 for the Memory of my Father

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

Re: 356 for the Memory of my Father

#121 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

steven mclean wrote:He is continuing on the samba ,watch it there.

He's found his safe space then. Most there won't know enough to not believe him, he should reach celebrity status very quickly.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Christian Guthrie
356 Fan
Tag: How many is enough?

#122 Post by Christian Guthrie »

Steve Proctor wrote:Dang, I was ready to hunt down Miamiair and invite him back to inject some sanity!!! 8)
I miss Charles on the forum and hope he is doing well. Hopefully his "Speedster D" has been restored by now.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#123 Post by Vic Skirmants »

He's BACK! Only harassing me by email right now. Anybody else who criticized him get any emails?

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#124 Post by James Davies »

I got a message through the Samba forum from him too a while back. Oh well.

We gave him all the information we could about the '52 coupe. I'm done.

Geary Miller
356 Fan
Location: N.E. Finger Lakes in upstate NY 25 miles S.W. of Syracuse

#125 Post by Geary Miller »

This is the earliest Customer GT car that I have seen in my 47 years of repairing and restoring Porsches. The connection to Ferry and the factory is very important.. . It pre dates the American Roadster and the early racing history is what made Porsche survive as a company. With each of these steps Porsche galvanized it's place in eternal history and the individuals who were part of it's foundation are just as important as the Werks projects in the development of the modern steps in the process. Only the pompus and ego centered dismiss the origins. The first racers are the real story as they did and gave all to follow their hearts and dreams. I have this belief that the guys that are only here for the show will go away and leave the pleasure of being behind the wheel to us humans who have the racing in our souls. I await the Petty tyrants rants and blutherings. Geary Miller

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#126 Post by Steve Proctor »

I can't wait to see the comments on this one
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Geary Miller
356 Fan

#127 Post by Geary Miller »

Marshall Green was a close associate of Briggs Cunningham. Briggs only owned one Porsche (a 51 cab ) but he connected Marshall Green with Ferry Porsche. His car was one of the first non factory GT cars. I know he was a very innovative guy with many Patened ideas. Why are you so important that you can disavow early Porsche history. The guys who race and are full of themselves are out of this loop as they were still on their momma's teats back then. Money and expensive cars does not make you important. If anything it shows small and narrow minds. Yelling louder just points out your shortcomings. A wall of small mindedness stands tall in the money circles of the clubhouse. Help this guy tie some of the pieces of the early Porsche story. These independent or driven people are why you have a Porsche today. The shame you braggards bring is truly what's wrong these days. You older racers must not have paid your dues. Geary Miller

Geary Miller
356 Fan

#128 Post by Geary Miller »

And for the Good guys who openly share these stories, thank you. I have helped many of the old racers and builders over my 47 years as I am a Porsche restorer.
Many were mechanics but I also did restoration. I would always ask the simple and stupid questions as almost none were truly simple. I learned much history from many old racers and have connected many dots. Thank you from so many old racers who are now long gone. Bless their sacrifices so that Porsche survived and florished. Geary Miller

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#129 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Read you the first time. :)

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#130 Post by Wes Bender »

... I'll go get the popcorn.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#131 Post by Steve Proctor »

I agree that the air is thick with pompus (sic) and ego-centric blathering. Here's some now: "Money and expensive cars does not make you important. If anything it shows small and narrow minds." Jeez!!!
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#132 Post by James Davies »

Geary, we tried as hard as we could to find out information about this old '52 coupe. I'm as interested in it as I'm sure you are. We actually found out a lot for him. And certainly the old history is fascinating. But he was unwilling to deal with the documentary evidence that we dug up for him. So, not really sure there's much more we could do for him. I think the car and possibly the history of the car is lost to time.

As for whether this old car had aluminum panels, that's a possibility. There were older cars with large fuel tanks and plexiglas windows delivered for racing from the factory. I know of at least one split-window coupe that was delivered that way for customer racing. And there was a RHD cabriolet from 1953 that had a full aluminum body on the steel chassis, just like the America Roadsters. So it is certainly possible, but the information on the ground is thin in Porsche's archives for these early cars, so who knows. Without the car still existing, it's hard to say.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#133 Post by C J Murray »

Maybe a psychiatrist could explain why this person keeps popping up in various places under various names with what is certain to be fictitious stories. Why not just write a novel and get some financial reward for your efforts?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#134 Post by Vic Skirmants »

James Davies wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:40 am Geary, we tried as hard as we could to find out information about this old '52 coupe. I'm as interested in it as I'm sure you are. We actually found out a lot for him. And certainly the old history is fascinating. But he was unwilling to deal with the documentary evidence that we dug up for him. So, not really sure there's much more we could do for him. I think the car and possibly the history of the car is lost to time.

As for whether this old car had aluminum panels, that's a possibility. There were older cars with large fuel tanks and plexiglas windows delivered for racing from the factory. I know of at least one split-window coupe that was delivered that way for customer racing. And there was a RHD cabriolet from 1953 that had a full aluminum body on the steel chassis, just like the America Roadsters. So it is certainly possible, but the information on the ground is thin in Porsche's archives for these early cars, so who knows. Without the car still existing, it's hard to say.
Geary; we tried for some time to put up with this guy, but he just kept getting more unhinged. As CJ says, he just keeps popping up other places. On Facebook he's using a fictitious name from one of his books, with an old high school photo of a friend. When he emailed me personally, I had to block him, thinking he was getting a little dangerous.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#135 Post by C J Murray »

Vic Skirmants wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:35 am
James Davies wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:40 am Geary, we tried as hard as we could to find out information about this old '52 coupe. I'm as interested in it as I'm sure you are. We actually found out a lot for him. And certainly the old history is fascinating. But he was unwilling to deal with the documentary evidence that we dug up for him. So, not really sure there's much more we could do for him. I think the car and possibly the history of the car is lost to time.

Geary; we tried for some time to put up with this guy, but he just kept getting more unhinged. As CJ says, he just keeps popping up other places. On Facebook he's using a fictitious name from one of his books, with an old high school photo of a friend. When he emailed me personally, I had to block him, thinking he was getting a little dangerous.
When Vic thinks you are unhinged and dangerous, WOW!
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion