Installing escutcheons on a 1959 356A

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Jim Stone
356 Fan

Installing escutcheons on a 1959 356A

#1 Post by Jim Stone »

I have a 1959 356A that was restored many years ago with black escutcheons. Looking at Neil's Book, it seems they should be tan or beige. I'm looking for advice in the right color, where to get them, and advice on installation ( and difficulty thereof).
Thanks,
Jim

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Installing escutcheons on a 1959 356A

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

http://www.stoddard.com/porsche-356/door-parts.html?p=2 Easier with a 3rd hand (helper) but can be done alone. What color is your interior? Pictures? See handle orientation here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44452&hilit=door+handle+orientation
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dan Epperly »

I like to use a long thin awl just a little smaller in diameter than the pin that you have to tap out.
You have to push the door panel and estuchion in to expose the pin. Rotate the handle so the pin is up. Place awl tip on pin and likely tap while keeping the estuchion pushed in. Once the pin is out it might take some pulling to get the handle off.
To get it back on, push the estuchion in again. Have the pin already slightly in the handle, it can't be sticking out where the handle mounts to the receiver, but just enough so you don't have to try and get it in there with the handle on and your knee pressing against the handle like you are playing Twister.
You really have to push in the handle,you might even have to tap it with a nylon or rubber mallet to get it to seat fully. Once it's there just tap the pin through till it is flush and the estuchion slides over the assembly.

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#4 Post by Steve Harrison »

That’s a damn good explanation Dan and Doug.
One other thing to consider, is if you get ahold of some originals, sometimes they can be really brittle.
I was told by a top restorer once, “just leave the spring out, no one will notice, and you won’t break the trim”
That’s exactly what I did with my snot green ones, and breathed a lot easier when I put the handles on.

Thomas Tuccillo
356 Fan

#5 Post by Thomas Tuccillo »

jim I also own a59 Acab and the dash knobs and all escut. were ivory so I believe that's how you decide, unless you have a particular pref. john paterek[n.j.] installed mine. tom tuccillo

Thomas Tuccillo
356 Fan

#6 Post by Thomas Tuccillo »

jim forgot to mention, Stoddard sells the escut. about $33 for four unless you want to go orig. and pay anywhere from $50 each and much higher,depending on cond. tom

Jim Stone
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jim Stone »

Thanks everyone. It's a silver gray car with a red interior. I think ivory probably best color to replace current black. Anybody have any experience with Brezelwerks?