I got to the point of re-assembly of putting the quarter windows back together on my '56 coupe and its been a bit of an adventure. I spent a good five hours over a weekend trying to get
the inner gasket on one of them to fit properly. The technique on this is well covered (and illustrated) over on abcgt.com and its been discussed quite a bit here. That said, despite mighty efforts on my part, involving trimming, sanding,lubing,heating, clamping and a significant amount of pushing and shoving, it wasnt going together. I was highly motivated to not crack the original glass but was using a significant amount of force at a variety of angles and combinations. Being only mildly slow about such things, after the fifth hour I decided backing away and reevaluation was in order. The gasket I was using was unused but had been in its package for at least ten years, which might have been a factor. Anyway, I ordered a new set from a different company (International Mercantile) and went at again this weekend. The new gaskets were more supple, which is to be expected but also smaller in lateral dimension. It took about 45 minutes to put both of the windows together, nice and even with no gaps at the corners.
Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
- Greg Bryan
- 356Talk Moderator
- Posts: 2210
- Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:05 pm
- Tag: Be Nice!
- Location: San Pedro, CA 90732
Thanks for sharing your experience, Robin. I've never done the quarter windows on a coupe, but I hear it's a mother ...