How to install ammeter

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Scott Halperin
356 Fan

How to install ammeter

#1 Post by Scott Halperin »

My 1964 356 SC has an ammeter. It was installed by the original owner but the previous owner tore out all the wiring to repaint a car. I got the wiring back together but I am not sure how to properly install the ammeter. It is a vdo gauge and I am uncertain if it is internally or externally shunted.
I found some vdo instructions that seem to suggest that it is internally shunted and therefore needs a 10 gauge wire run all the way back to the starter and a second 10 gauge wire run all the way back to the
regulator. However it doesn't tell me where to connect it on the regulator.

As always your help will be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
1493921294838-603769320.jpg
14939212515521877991245.jpg

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: How to install ammeter

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Scott you will find Joe Leoni's instructions and why he thinks they are a bad idea in this link: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5296&hilit=ammeter+installation
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#3 Post by Wes Bender »

I don't know about their availability, but an externally shunted ammeter would avoid the issue of having to run the heavier gauge wire. You could mount the shunt at the starter (or voltage regulator) and then run lighter gauge wires to the instrument.

Having said all that, however, I think a voltmeter would be a much better idea. You can get a pretty good idea of the condition of your electrics with a voltmeter.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Scott Halperin
356 Fan

#4 Post by Scott Halperin »

Unfortunately there is a hole in the dash and I have the ammeter. I agree volt meter is better, just not sure I want to buy another gauge. Possibility though.

M Penta
356 Fan

#5 Post by M Penta »

I have the same ammeter in my car which I have not hooked up yet. As you mention they are internally shunted and do require 10awg out and back. Like you, I already have the ammeter so I may still hook it up, but a voltmeter is a better idea and a safer way to go. When (if) I do hook mine up I will solder connections and make sure the wires are properly sheathed and well protected. In addition to the safety risks, they will also consume some precious current.