Need help assemblying linkpins

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Scott Halperin
356 Fan

Need help assemblying linkpins

#1 Post by Scott Halperin »

I am putting new link pins on my 1964 356. I am using the Febi Bilstein kit with their dust covers and o-rings. I know that these were not used in the original design, but I am ok with not being perfectly original. I also know that you are to use 10 shims per pin. I have done my measurements and know the order for the shims. The kit actually only came with 32 shims instead of 40 so I am reusing 8 of my old shims. The kit did not come with any assembly diagram.

I did not take apart the front suspension so I am now trying to figure out where the dust cover and o-ring goes and in which direction to put in the dust cover. I think that the dust cover would be the last piece added to the pin before it is put onto the trailing arms and the o-ring going right before that so it fits in the dust cap grove. But this means that the dust cover is clamped between the King pin assembly and the trailing arm and it just does not look right to me.

Any help or diagrams would be appreciated.
Attachments
Linkpins assembly.jpg

Phil Planck
356 Fan

Re: Need help assemblying linkpins

#2 Post by Phil Planck »

Scott

I think you have the VW kit. The rubber seal is #19, a sort of rectangular oring, and the round metal part is different also
Attachments
parts diagram.jpg
parts diagram.jpg (24.21 KiB) Viewed 1871 times
Phil Planck

Scott Halperin
356 Fan

#3 Post by Scott Halperin »

Thanks. I ordered the correct seals from NLA and already have the right cups. Hopefully this will make more sense.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#4 Post by Vic Skirmants »

The dust cover and O-ring in your photo go in the garbage. They are only used on the VW, and can not be used on a 356.

Scott Halperin
356 Fan

#5 Post by Scott Halperin »

Vic and Phil,
Thanks and Merry Christmas!!