Sources for 356A Heat Tube Metal and Rear Seat Pans?

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Steve Watson
356 Fan

Sources for 356A Heat Tube Metal and Rear Seat Pans?

#1 Post by Steve Watson »

Trying to help my metal worker out on restoration of my 56 Speedster. Are there any sources for the steel heat tubing that runs inside the longitudinals? In particular, he's working on the remaking the rear sections that angle towards the rear torsion tube.

Also best source for the rear seat pans?

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Sources for 356A Heat Tube Metal and Rear Seat Pans?

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I guess no-one wants to stick their neck out, unless you have had private messages. I have never seen the heater tubes for sale. And have never seen a comparison of the rear seat replacement metal which is offered by different suppliers. I used new rear seat area from Trevor in my 65 C. Well made but some fitting necessary which would probably need to be done to a piece from any of the vendors who supply this piece for a Speedster. Lots of builds in the Project section who made their own heater tubes. You might want to talk to Harlan about how he did it in this build: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38752&hilit=Speedster+heater+tubes And Steve Harrison made these for his build See Picture
Attachments
heaterpipe1.JPG
heaterpipe1.JPG (54.82 KiB) Viewed 1786 times
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#3 Post by Greg Bryan »

You can also check Restoration Design - they are great supporters of the Registry
Greg Bryan

Thomas McWhorter
356 Fan

#4 Post by Thomas McWhorter »

I went to a muffler shop. They had all sorts of steel tubing, including some that was close enough.