Looking for a good 356 Surveyor recommendation

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
John Avery Howard
356 Fan

Looking for a good 356 Surveyor recommendation

#1 Post by John Avery Howard »

Hello, I have a 1962 356 S90 T6 that was my father's. I posted a few months ago seeking a mechanic and I have met many of the mechanics near me but have little idea how and what I need to do to get the interior and body back into shape. The car had a decade outdoors which was not good on it's interior and some exterior items. I am also assuming the engine brakes and transmission will all need some work but am not sure the depth that should be done. The good news is that it is in the SF Bay Area and only has 75k on it and I am not seeing anything approaching major rust (fingers crossed)

I am intending to get the lady back to drivable and decent shape and do nothing that might prevent a later show car effort. However, for me it is the joy of driving the car I learned stick in before Tesla and Google make real driving obsolete is the goal.

I am looking to the Forum for recommendations on PPI or Surveyors that I could contact about getting a seriously informed inspection done. Hopefully, the SF Bay Area has a few in residence.

Thank You
John Howard
John
1962 356BT6 S90

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

Re: Looking for a good 356 Surveyor recommendation

#2 Post by Steve Raucher »

John's VW and Porsche in San Mateo. Old school trained mechanic. # 650.574-4643. Honest work and gets it right the first time,good hourly rate. No body work but can access car mechanically.
Good luck and keep us up to date on progress.
Steve

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

John: Congrats on carrying on the conservatorship of your father's 356.

First things first: address the mechanical issues of the car, then deal with cosmetics. Get to know fellow 356 owners in your area and they can recommend upholstery and body/paint shops based upon their experiences. Steve has given you a recommendation on a mechanic that can assess the car. With only 75K miles and depending upon how long the car has not been driven, the transaxle may not need any work other than new seals, same with the engine. New brake and fuel lines, rebuild the wheel cylinders, etc., etc. I think there is actually an older thread on resurrecting a 356. Use a Google search to locate it.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#4 Post by Steve Douglas »

You are in the SF Bay Area and there are several places to go to for a full restoration, but first take Mike suggestion and meet up with lots of local guys who will have up to date knowledge about shops. Also you need to figure out what you intend to do with the car, use it as a driver, make it a garage queen/show car or ???? Then look at you budget, do you want to spend $150,000 on a full concours restoration? or a $25,000 paint and interior? No shop can give you a firm price due to the "Porsche Surprise" that always lurks under the paint and interior, it could be rust, crash damage, or something else unexpected, but, it will be there in 90% of the cars, adding many hours and dollars to what the original estimates are. Also what kind of time frame are you willing put up with, 6 months, 5 years, and how much work can you, or are willing, to do yourself?
The San Mateo breakfast is a great gathering, this Saturday October 1st 8:30am Mimi's in San Mateo off of #92, come about 8:15 bring you car if you can, and hang out afterwards. Also the 1st and 3rd Saturdays in Emeryville is the gathering at EASY, 9-12, again come early and enjoy the 100+ cars that show up, all Porsches.
You are welcome to contact me and I can give you some more ideas on where to get information and knowledge. Steve Douglas