Headliner insulation versus the stock fabric insulation

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Donald Pirch
356 Fan

Headliner insulation versus the stock fabric insulation

#1 Post by Donald Pirch »

I'm in process of replacing my 1960 356B coupe headliner and noted a thin layer of fabric pad now in place. Unknown if this is stock fabric or not It does not cover the entire roof area and is coming away and needs replaced.

I'm considering foil backed fiberglass insulation, maybe semi-rigid for both insulation for temperature and deadening noise glued in place with Gorilla glue. What has worked for most of you and what is the best approach?
Donald E. Pirch

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

Re: Headliner insulation versus the stock fabric insulation

#2 Post by Dave Wildrick »

My 64C coupe currently has a water heater blanket serving as insulation above the headliner.
It came from Home Depot about 8 years ago and is made of recycled fibers that look like cotton, with aluminum foil on one side.
You can't see it, so I don't think what you use really matters if it does the job.

But if you're a purist with deep pockets, you had better locate some original German stuff--period correct.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#3 Post by Doug McDonnell »

My C coupe had Jute originally, I decide to go modern with Dynamat. Multiple other similar brands.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dan Epperly »

Doug McDonnell wrote:My C coupe had Jute originally, I decide to go modern with Dynamat. Multiple other similar brands.

I reused mine, helps give it that old German car musty smell. Important for the authenticity maven.

Cole Scrogham
356 Fan

#5 Post by Cole Scrogham »

I would recommend using some of the readily available products for VW, you can find the insulation you need for example from www.wolfsburgwest.com and it is very nice to work with for a 356.