356C bumper repair question

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
David Sanderson
356 Fan

356C bumper repair question

#1 Post by David Sanderson »

Hi
As part of my 356C restoration, I had to remove the rubber/aluminum strips from the front and rear bumpers. In the process many of the t-bolts were busted and cut off. Now I am ready to remount things having painted the bumper itself. But, I am unclear about removing the rubber to install new t-bolts. Has anybody had any experience in doing that and might be willing to share some advice and experience. is it difficult? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Dave

David Campbell
356 Fan

Re: 356C bumper repair question

#2 Post by David Campbell »

David
I just did my B bumpers using all new reproduction deco strips and rubber. I assume you are going back with your originals. I used a very small flat blade screw driver that I ground to a spoon shape and a slight bend so it can pry hook and lift. The center rubber comes out and works best when warmed with a heat gun or powerful hair dryer. Just get it workable. Once the center section is out you can replace the carriage bolts. If necessary you may need to grind the heads a bit of your replacements to match the channel in the deco strip. This is a good time to consider new rubber from one of our vendors. Replacing the seals that go on the backside are a treat but there are some good posts with pictures if you do a search under " deco strip" Always use some masking tape around your newly painted bumpers when working on lining up things to avoid scratches.
1961 B Coupe
1966 VW Type I
1987 944 NA
2000 Boxster S