'55 Speedster - restarting restoration

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Jerry Garwick
356 Fan

'55 Speedster - restarting restoration

#1 Post by Jerry Garwick »

I began this project a number of years ago and got sidetracked with a couple of other projects. I just finished my end of the restoration on a 1967 911 S Targa and shipped it off to Germany to the owner. The work can be seen on the early911sregistry. That car was about as much of a "project" as is this Speedster. The good news is that it is one of the early Speedsters and it came out of the factory in "Metallic Graphite" paint (one of three Speedsters ever in that color).

The Speedster probably was used as a club racer because of the metal supports for the longitudinals and the sheet steel for the floor. It was quite sturdy, but not at all original, painted in a yellow. When I bought it I had planned to use it in club racing, but then the value of early Speedsters changed that approach. I began to collect needed parts and panels, and then the job got put on hold.

I'm now prepping the car for my rotissery. I don't have a celette rig so I use leveled heavy timbers that have been checked for straightness and then use a laser level to check the dimensions of required points. I then put on the doors and set the proper gaps. Having done this, I welded in a "bird cage" for the cockpit. If the doors are set properly for the cockpit, the rest of the body can be adjusted as required. When I figure out how to attached pictures to this site (again after years of forgetting how) I'll fill you in on the work.
Jerry G

Jerry Garwick
356 Fan

Re: '55 Speedster - restarting restoration

#2 Post by Jerry Garwick »

Let me see if this picture is posted.

AHA! Now that I think how to post pictures, I'll include them in future posts on progress. More steel supports will be soon added to ensure the body is stable.
Attachments
IMG_1384.JPG
Jerry G

Victor Ingram
356 Fan

#3 Post by Victor Ingram »

Jerry, How is coming along?
Would love to see some pictures.

Jerry Garwick
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jerry Garwick »

I just returned to California after about 8 weeks (or more ) of travel. I have most recently returned from the Monterey Car week and saw nothing much new except a whole bunch of $1,000,000 cars roaming the streets of Carmel and Canery Row. Obviously there is a lot of expendable income for our love of cars.

But on to the '55 Speedster. I had the car media blasted just before before I left and now have it up on my rotisserie with a fine coat of primer. No current pictures as of yet. But most of the inner panels are rusted beyound saving. Not much unexpected. I am wondering if any of you fine readers have ever removed the rear torsion bar "TUBE". Not just the torsion bar, that's already removed, but the actual tube. If I can remove it my job will become much easier. I asked Restoration Design if they have done this, and "no", was their answer.

Help, anyone for advice before I start cutting?
Jerry G

Jerry Garwick
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jerry Garwick »

I am now trying to chase down the following panel. If anyone knows of a source to buy one, much appreciated. I would prefer not to have to fabricate the two (left and right) because it is a complex panel.

The parts book indicates that it is item 14 in the picture, but in the number listing on the item description it is omitted.
Attachments
IMG_1501.JPG
Jerry G

Jerry Garwick
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jerry Garwick »

Many years ago "our" collective restoration was mainly on drive trains and repairing fender dents. Now that the original 356s and early 911s are mostly kept in pristine condition in climate controlled environments the community, including myself, are doing our best to bring problem children back to life. That is the case of Speedster # 80781. I picked up this car about 20 years ago with the intention of using it as a club racer. It had previously been used in that role in the past. It's previous owners had replaced the entire bottom sheathing with a large plate of plate steel and the longitudinals with angle iron. The dash and rear fender had meen mosified to look like a later model. And the front fenders and nose had been from a later model "A" car. OK if it was to be used as a beater in races. As the values of the Speedsters began to raise, my work on the car was changed to restoration to original, rather than keep it as it was.

I got sidetracked by several other Porsche projects that drained both my time and finances. But having got past those I am now devoting full time on the Speedster. It was a rather normal Porsche other than being originl painted Graphite Metallic. I believe only 3 Speedsters ever came with that color.

The car has extensive cancer on many of the interior and exterior panels. The good news is that the doors, hood, engine lid, and main chassis are in pretty good condition. I'm going to keep our panel suppliers quite happy over the next year! My initial job now that the car has been media blasted is to inventory what panels are obviously required. I had previously purchased 6 of the most obvious prior to media blasted. But I must begin the "peeling of this onion" to find all required.

If there is a good side of this, the car will now be documented as having "original" panel replacements from the inside out. Many of our Porsches have hidden rust that is permanently covered. Pictures follows of what I am facing. I love this hobby!
IMG_1504.JPG
IMG_1503.JPG
IMG_1505.JPG
IMG_1509.JPG
I could keep adding pictures,but your get the idea. I'll post each replacement panel project as I progress.
Jerry G

Jerry Garwick
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jerry Garwick »

How about real pictures?
IMG_1504.JPG
IMG_1503.JPG
IMG_1505.JPG
IMG_1509.JPG
Jerry G

Jerry Garwick
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jerry Garwick »

John provided me with info regarding a particular panel. I had not seen this preference before but it is pretty interesting. Just when I think I've got the project from hell, I run across something like this!

(posting follows)
I always called the inner fender well liner. It fits between the aft floor bulkhead aft to above the axel bumper stop ring

Somewhere on this link they is photos and descriptions on how to make one, and install it. Is is most extensive overhaul I have seen but a good reference. Its a couple hundred pages long, go get a cup of coffee.

http://www.abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Resto ... &start=162

http://www.abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Resto ... &start=882

62 Roadster
66 912
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965
Jerry G

Jerry Garwick
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jerry Garwick »

I always try, when doing a restoration, to keep original body panels on the car that are salvagable. I believe that the body remains straighter this way, rather than attempting to fit a completely replacement internal panel. That means to me to cut away the rust until I find good "meat" that permits me to weld replacement panels. Most of the time I have to fabricate the attached panel. Pictures best show how I approach this.
IMG_1519.JPG
First I'll remove the front closing panel. It had been repaired sometime in the past.
IMG_1531.JPG
Now that the "onion has been unpeeled" the rusted out sections are visable. Typical of open cars that have been sitting outside.
IMG_1533.JPG
I glue 4 pieces of aluminum foil together for ridgedity and make a pattern with it for the replacement panel.
IMG_1535.JPG
I have a home-made metal brake, but for smaller panels I use a vice and hammer to form them. Compound curves require planishing hammers and English wheels.
IMG_1537.JPG
IMG_1538.JPG
The new panel placed in position where I will spot weld (rosetta welds where my spot welder cannot reach) it in place after I clean the surface rust off the remaining original panel. After the panel is attached I will spray rust converter on the surface rust that remains on the original panels. I also use POR-15 on surface rust that I can reach with a brush. POR-15 is amazing stuff. I cannot emphasize enough to wear a mask and of goggles when working on rusty items. The contaminated airborne particles really do a nasty job on your sinuses and eyes.
Jerry G

Jerry Garwick
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jerry Garwick »

A request for pictures from you fine people of the undercarrage of your 1955 projects. Many of the welds from the previous owners look like bubble gum and must be cut out. Also many of the repair panels are jury rigged and will be replaced. I do have the proper manuels for the factory parts but actual pictures always help in bringing our beauties back to as original as possible. Help please.
Jerry G

Bob Cannon
356 Fan

#11 Post by Bob Cannon »

Send me your email and I will send you a ton of pictures of the underside of a 55 Speedster being brought back from the dead.
a65cab@surewest. net
Bob Cannon
Sacramento, CA

Jerry Garwick
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jerry Garwick »

A big thanks to Bob for every photo needed for my '55 project. Thank you, Bob for the sharing.
Jerry G

Chad Comeau
356 Fan
Tag: Upstate NY

#13 Post by Chad Comeau »

Hi Jerry,
Send me you email address and I can send or take pictures for you.

Chad
Chad T. Comeau

Jerry Garwick
356 Fan

#14 Post by Jerry Garwick »

Hi Chad

jerryggarwick@gmail.com

I know we had communicated in the past re this project. Thanks for any help. I'm really enjoying this project as most pre-A owners are now doing. Thank goodness for our parts suppliers.
Jerry G

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#15 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Regarding your question about the torsion bar tube, I think if you examine it closely you will find that the "tube" is actually 5 separate pieces: Two good size VW castings at the outer ends welded into the frame, two tubes, and a cast center section. It should be possible to remove and replace the tube sections after removing the center box and the end boxes, but R & Ring the outer cast ends will stress your ingenuity.