"Homer" the 64 that can!

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Rhys and Karisa Haydon
Registry Trustee

"Homer" the 64 that can!

#1 Post by Rhys and Karisa Haydon »

Hey Everyone!
Just thought I would see if I can get my own thing going here! Purchased this '64 Coupe a few months ago and named her "Homer" because after Cali she lived in Homer Alaska for a number of years. Anyway now she is in Gig Harbor, Washington and we are squaring away a few things, and here they are!

Started with the body work. Lower door skins looked a little rusty, hood had "the kink" and some lighter rust in a few other places. Took the car to Elhot Metalfab in Seattle and a great job was done! Great service, quick turnaround, and the owner even let me buy him lunch!

Anyway next up is paint. Have leads on a few local painters that I will shortly check out! Havent really dug in to much of the mechanicals, though she drives really well and we have taken her on a few lil trips so far with great pleasure. We own a few other Porsches and I was speaking with a great friend today about how we will have great difficulty driving any other car it seems from here on out. This 356 is the dream we have been having these past few years.

Without further, well, you know... Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_1205.JPG
1956 Coupe "Marilyn"
1964 Coupe "Homer"
Instagram: @therhys

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: "Homer" the 64 that can!

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Welcome I love my C also. Great cars to drive.
Attachments
Jason's first Porsche ride.jpg
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Rhys and Karisa Haydon
Registry Trustee

#3 Post by Rhys and Karisa Haydon »

Well in the fairness of keeping this thread active here is my update.
Homer has been sitting in the garage for about a week. I am going to dig in to the floor boards this Friday to change the short fuel line, if for no other reason than piece of mind. I also read a thread on checking the generator brushes, so will do that as well.

Paint! I am intimidated about finding a painter. I dont really know the questions to ask. Homer needs the skim coat applied as well... I have two recommendations that I will follow up on promptly.

In other 356 news I am excited to have been put in touch with a gentleman looking to get his first 356 who lives a town over from me! I am passionate about helping new people experience these cars.

Till next time thanks! -TR
1956 Coupe "Marilyn"
1964 Coupe "Homer"

Rhys and Karisa Haydon
Registry Trustee

#4 Post by Rhys and Karisa Haydon »

Few more photos!
Attachments
Karisa and Homer on the Hood Canal Bridge.
Karisa and Homer on the Hood Canal Bridge.
Here we are on a drive!
Here we are on a drive!
1956 Coupe "Marilyn"
1964 Coupe "Homer"

Rhys and Karisa Haydon
Registry Trustee

#5 Post by Rhys and Karisa Haydon »

Dug in to the floor boards last night in order to try finding where the smell of gas was coming from. Things were nice and dry! Many years of dust and such were hanging out. Found out the floor board has a new bit of metal pop riveted on it, looks to have been there for a bit, and doesn't cause me any grief! Was not able to find any moisture anywhere, and the greatest smell of gas is coming from the front right passenger floor area. I believe the overflow hose in the front trunk could be changed along with the seal in the gas cap?? Sound like the right track??
Of other interesting news the front trunk has been lined with carpet many years ago and was the favored restroom for atleast one barn cat. I have removed some of the carpet and will remove the rest fairly quick. It looks like the car was possibly converted to 12v at some point, and then changed back, so the converter is still in the front trunk. I will delve in to that this coming week as well.
Otherwise Karisa and I took Homer for a drive the other night, and in the excitement forgot to turn back down the driveway on our return thus being forced to make another loop of the course! Hope everyone is getting the miles in! KTF -TR
1956 Coupe "Marilyn"
1964 Coupe "Homer"

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#6 Post by Doug McDonnell »

There is a small section of fuel line in the front center tunnel area this is the most likely place to get fumes from. It connects the metal line that goes through the front firewall to the metal fuel line that goes through the tunnel. Replace with alcohol safe fuel line-NAPA has some. See picture. You can just make out the fuel hose. There is a short piece of fuel line connecting the gas tank vent to a metal tube that goes into your right front wheel well.
Attachments
T6 overflow line.jpg
T6 overflow line.jpg (101.36 KiB) Viewed 5573 times
center gas line in left of photo
center gas line in left of photo
64%20coupe%20e%20brake%20tube%20006.JPG (57.89 KiB) Viewed 5573 times
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Rhys and Karisa Haydon
Registry Trustee

#7 Post by Rhys and Karisa Haydon »

Doug, Thank you very much for the response! I will get that line changed and update you in the result!
1956 Coupe "Marilyn"
1964 Coupe "Homer"

Rhys and Karisa Haydon
Registry Trustee

#8 Post by Rhys and Karisa Haydon »

Been getting the 'ol girl out the last few days.
The other day I was driving Homer to work and fired her up in the garage, backed out, and she died. Fired her back up again, and she died again... Karisa and I pushed her back in the garage and I took another car to work. Called Karisa to lament about Homer not running, and she identified that I most likely did not turn the fuel on, which she went and verified! Haha! Lesson learned!
KTF! -TR
1956 Coupe "Marilyn"
1964 Coupe "Homer"

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#9 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Love it! Welcome to the 356 world.

Rhys and Karisa Haydon
Registry Trustee

#10 Post by Rhys and Karisa Haydon »

Vic! Your a 356 Idol of mine! Thank you for the reply! I am really enjoying it and appreciate all the positive feedback!

Vic Skirmants wrote:Love it! Welcome to the 356 world.
1956 Coupe "Marilyn"
1964 Coupe "Homer"

M Penta
356 Fan

#11 Post by M Penta »

I think it looks great as is. I like them with some spots of primer, adds character. Drive and enjoy!

I have a 64C which I just can't seem to get done, it is close though. I have never driven one of these, should be a fun maiden voyage eventually.

Rhys and Karisa Haydon
Registry Trustee

#12 Post by Rhys and Karisa Haydon »

M Penta wrote:I think it looks great as is. I like them with some spots of primer, adds character. Drive and enjoy!

I have a 64C which I just can't seem to get done, it is close though. I have never driven one of these, should be a fun maiden voyage eventually.

Honestly I don't mind the primer either! We have been enjoying it plenty! Working to find a painter we can get the car over to!
1956 Coupe "Marilyn"
1964 Coupe "Homer"

Rhys and Karisa Haydon
Registry Trustee

#13 Post by Rhys and Karisa Haydon »

So! We finally have secured double-gated parking for a few of our cars in downtown area of Seattle! We are in the process of moving from Gig Harbor to Seattle full time, whereas before we were splitting our week between the two.

Finally spoke with a painter! Like, ON THE PHONE!! Amazing! Sent a few photos over and hope that he is willing to do the work...

Karisa had wanted to take Homer to a car show, but ended up doing a triathlon that weekend instead. Otherwise have just been reading old Registry mags and re-reading some of Harrys books! Hope your all enjoying the road!
1956 Coupe "Marilyn"
1964 Coupe "Homer"

Kirk Romanotto
356 Fan

#14 Post by Kirk Romanotto »

It's always tough to find a good painter for classic cars these days. Body shops are only interested in the quick turnaround jobs. You really need a restoration shop for this kind of work. Too bad you guys are so far from us. We would look into the paint for you. I do know a good Porsche restorer in your neck of the woods though. He does a lot of early 911 stuff. If he can't do the job, I'm sure he could refer you to someone. Send me a message if you want his information.
Kirk

Rhys and Karisa Haydon
Registry Trustee

#15 Post by Rhys and Karisa Haydon »

Alright! Time for an update! I hope some of you have seen the article, my first, in this months magazine about the 356 Bull Session up here in Tacoma!
Homer is doing great. We had a little mini adventure bringing him down to Tom Blacks Garage in Portland for some paint and body work. First off I have to admit that I was more than derelict in taking care of Homer up to this point... I should have done a nice tune on him prior to the little couple hour drive but didn't.
Wanting to "beat the traffic" headed from Gig Harbor I determined that the best time to leave would be 5:30 AM. Needless to say that is much earlier than necessary, but I get ants in my pants. Come 5:15 I had roused the ever-good-natured Karisa and we had started on our way. Homer, suggesting that now would be a fine time to let me know he wanted, nix, needed a tune, felt like he had very little power above 4K in 3rd or 4th gear. We managed to hold a pleasant 60-65 headed down southbound I-5.
Stopping for our Seattle Starbucks brought its own fun to the equation! After getting our fix we made our way back to our little car and those Hellas beamed ever so dimly back in our direction... yes, I had left the lights on. My lovely young co-driver was quick to point out that Harry Pellow says one can do a quick jump with a 12V on our little 6V. Well we basically unhooked any of the electrics we could and got a jump! Homer came to life, before dying again. Jumped again, only to die. Gandering at the battery we noticed it was a solid 7 years on. The only Auto Parts store in Chehalis Washington open at 8 helped us with the new battery and we were off.
You may think it rains here all the time but it has not rained in quite a few weeks, until that morning. Our wiper motor is out, so we used our patented team approach to driving for the spell of rain we went through. We used this technique on our drive to Alaska last year when our 911SC wipers went out. We are well practiced!
We pulled in to Portland and up to Toms shop with no trouble and Homer took one look inside and hopped right in. Toms has a number of 356s his team is working on.
Thats the latest from our chronicles! If your in Portland please go say hello to Homer!
1956 Coupe "Marilyn"
1964 Coupe "Homer"