"Homer" the 64 that can!

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Rhys and Karisa Haydon
Registry Trustee

Re: "Homer" the 64 that can!

#16 Post by Rhys and Karisa Haydon »

Kirk, Just saw your message! Thank you for the offer! Perhaps we will ask you for that info when we need work on the 911! Thanks again. -Rhys

Kirk Romanotto wrote:It's always tough to find a good painter for classic cars these days. Body shops are only interested in the quick turnaround jobs. You really need a restoration shop for this kind of work. Too bad you guys are so far from us. We would look into the paint for you. I do know a good Porsche restorer in your neck of the woods though. He does a lot of early 911 stuff. If he can't do the job, I'm sure he could refer you to someone. Send me a message if you want his information.
Kirk
1956 Coupe "Marilyn"
1964 Coupe "Homer"
Instagram: @therhys

M Penta
356 Fan

#17 Post by M Penta »

I admire your willingness to hop in and go, unknowns be damned. Now I know I worry too much.

Rhys and Karisa Haydon
Registry Trustee

#18 Post by Rhys and Karisa Haydon »

I have to say that it works out sometimes and not others. We have had a few of our Porsches breakdown on us. But other than a 944 blowing a water pump nothing that left us stranded! I believe these cars are designed such that they want to run, even in harsh conditions and when not *properly* cared for. That being said I feel we were lucky this time and will give it a nice tune prior to the ride up! -TR
M Penta wrote:I admire your willingness to hop in and go, unknowns be damned. Now I know I worry too much.
1956 Coupe "Marilyn"
1964 Coupe "Homer"

Rhys and Karisa Haydon
Registry Trustee

#19 Post by Rhys and Karisa Haydon »

Well I have some great updates, but am waiting to post photos and do more of a write up until I have more to say. Until then I cannot remember if I had posted this photo yet.
Attachments
Back of Homer.  I am a nurse and just starting my Nurse Practitioner program at Seattle Pacific University.
Back of Homer. I am a nurse and just starting my Nurse Practitioner program at Seattle Pacific University.
1956 Coupe "Marilyn"
1964 Coupe "Homer"

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#20 Post by Mike Wilson »

Congrats and thanks for the pic!
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Rhys and Karisa Haydon
Registry Trustee

#21 Post by Rhys and Karisa Haydon »

Well here is the latest story for Homer.
Picked up the car this past week in Portland where Tom Black, of Tom Blacks Garage, was finishing up body and paint work. I must say my experience with Tom and Sved was outstanding. While reflecting on his services on the drive home the best I could come up with is to say that he is an artist of his medium, but more so he strives to do the best work possible. When I dropped the car off his shop assistant Sved was there and we did the walk-around to see the areas of focus. Sometimes this can leave you wondering if all the items will be done, but not in this case.
I had a couple dents which I did not get fixed at the first body shop, which Tom took care of. And I was delighted when filling up Homer to observe that Tom had taken it upon himself to take the paint which had been applied to the gas cap off and return it to its correct state. His fitment on reassembly was only limited by a new hood seal, which can take time to flatten out. Overall I will be looking to Tom for any future work and he was well worth the travel.
The drive home was an adventure! If you remember my throw out bearing was on its way, well, out. Tom said that it was getting a bit worse and I immediately agreed. I did my best to either start gently in second, or just not stop whenever possible. Once on the freeway Homer who is badly in need of a tune up cruised along at 65 with no concerns although didn't seen to enjoy the hills. One gas stop where I forgot to turn off the lights lead to a short time of trying to figure out what the issue to be before starting right back off.
The only real traffic was driving by Joint Base Lewis-McCord near Tacoma and just coming in to Gig Harbor, where the guy in the truck behind me gave me plenty of time and room when I was coaxing the car in to gear.
We all know how special any drive in these cars is and being without for a few weeks I enjoyed it ever so more. Hope to get Homer to the shop ASAP and get out on a drive soon. Thanks to all who read this!
Attachments
Narrows Bridge, Tacoma Washington
Narrows Bridge, Tacoma Washington
Tom Black and I at his shop in Portland Oregon
Tom Black and I at his shop in Portland Oregon
IMG_3922.JPG
Filling her up!
Filling her up!
1956 Coupe "Marilyn"
1964 Coupe "Homer"

Rhys and Karisa Haydon
Registry Trustee

#22 Post by Rhys and Karisa Haydon »

If you click on the sideways and upside down photos they will fix themselves for viewing. Sorry I don't know how to fix them myself!
1956 Coupe "Marilyn"
1964 Coupe "Homer"

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#23 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Lovely!!
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.