'60 Cab project

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Jim Nelson
356 Fan

Re: '60 Cab project

#151 Post by Jim Nelson »

It's getting there, Cliff, bunches of little adjustments to make, still has no brake fluid (I'll bet that's on Monday's to-do list), have to put the windows back in, the seals on the door openings, the rubber and the aluminum strips that go around the top, the windshield, the door and window handles, a radio, speakers.....yada, yada yada....
Still got a ways to go.

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#152 Post by Jim Nelson »

So the little details start....the right clamps on the axle boots:
IMG_2447.jpg
The same thing for the heater hoses:
IMG_2446.jpg
Hooking up the heater cables, new fuel line in the front from the tank to the petcock, and it runs like a top:
IMG_2450.jpg
This may have been the most delicate thing i've tried on a car, resurrecting the wire filter from an old T5 washer fitting. This is totally different from the T6 piece that I'm used to and is a teeny little screen that's inserted into the black washer hose (unlike the T6 that's clear). Clever folks, these Germans:
IMG_2451.jpg
The finished product:
IMG_2452.jpg
That goes into the washer bag:
IMG_2453.jpg
Larry also added brake fluid and bled the brakes, and we started the alignment process on the side windows/vent windows.

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#153 Post by Jim Nelson »

Back in the saddle after a rather exhausting charity bike ride.
Larry located a nice tinted windshield, and the windshield gasket is one of those Italian jobs:
IMG_2480.jpg
Actually takes quite a while to get all the mold release agent off the windshield gasket:
IMG_2481.jpg
And it looks a little better with the windshield in place:
IMG_2482.jpg
So we snugged up the tension rod, which the interior guys had for some reason taken out, and started on the radio and doors.
IMG_2475.jpg
Last edited by Jim Nelson on Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jay Broemmel
356 Fan
Instagram: @slouchcycles

#154 Post by Jay Broemmel »

How did you get the tension rod tight? I've tried everything I can think of, including taking the radio out, and I can't even get the nut on. My oversized ape fingers don't help. Thanks, J

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#155 Post by Jim Nelson »

I've found that you can get the nut on and its washer by taking out both the radio and the glovebox. I use Gascacinch to glue the washer to the bottom of the nut, and then it's a bit of a braille exercise finding the end of the rod. Sometimes you can find a position where you can see it, which helps. Once you get the nut on, spin it as tight as you can get by hand and then it's little stubby 10mm wrenches.

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#156 Post by Jim Nelson »

Little things bedevil us. We spent a couple of days trying to make the original seat rails on the seat try to play nice with the reproduction seat rails on the car side, and the creative language coming from that process would make a good basis for a movie. The biggest problem, and there are many, is that the original seat rails have a rounded edge where it turns under, and the repro's have a sharp edge that digs in at every turn. Incredibly frustrating. Larry scared up a set of original car side rails, and guess what--worked like a charm. Just shoot me now, apparently the guys that make the repro's don't fit them to cars.
IMG_2485.jpg
Way different finish, as well, compared to a new old one:
IMG_2484.jpg
And, as I go to install the radio, the bracket appears to be too short to allow the controls to sit flat, which doesn't work at all. But, as it turns out, you learn something new every day--there are at least two different brackets for the radio. The short one is for the really old, deep radio chassis and the longer one fits either.
IMG_2494.jpg
At least my skinny fingers could get the clips on the back of the script:
IMG_2493.jpg

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#157 Post by Dan Kalinski »

Great progress, Jim!

Have very much enjoyed this thread. Thank You!

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#158 Post by Joris Koning »

jim nelson wrote: Just shoot me now, apparently the guys that make the repro's don't fit them to cars.
Correct Jim, but they will gladly take your money and then bullshit you when you complain their "new and improved concours" product does not work.
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#159 Post by Jim Nelson »

Joris Koning wrote:
jim nelson wrote: Just shoot me now, apparently the guys that make the repro's don't fit them to cars.
Correct Jim, but they will gladly take your money and then bullshit you when you complain their "new and improved concours" product does not work.
And....it's the first time anyone has complained about it....
It's particularly irksome when you find out that the part you wouldn't put on your car comes from Porsche Classic. WTF !!!

C J Murray
356 Fan

#160 Post by C J Murray »

I am starting to be offended that your car is so perfect and exposes my cars for the total crap that they are.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Eric Wahlberg
356 Fan

#161 Post by Eric Wahlberg »

jim nelson wrote:
Joris Koning wrote:
It's particularly irksome when you find out that the part you wouldn't put on your car comes from Porsche Classic. WTF !!!
This is not a Porschecentric complaint as I hear it from restorers of both import and domestic cars. Customers often wonder why reassembly can take as long as it does, until they spend time observing the process. We often say we do not want reproduction parts, but counterfeit ones.
Eric Wahlberg

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#162 Post by Jim Nelson »

Eric Wahlberg wrote:
jim nelson wrote:
Joris Koning wrote:
This is not a Porschecentric complaint as I hear it from restorers of both import and domestic cars. Customers often wonder why reassembly can take as long as it does, until they spend time observing the process. We often say we do not want reproduction parts, but counterfeit ones.

I get it. But when you buy a Ford factory part, you should have a higher degree of confidence that it will fit with no issues. Buy a part from Porsche Classic, and I say it should fit your Porsche with no issues. We aren't getting parts from someone who, with good intentions, tries to make it up. If it is a factory bit, it should fit.

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#163 Post by Joris Koning »

Jim,

I do not care if it is a factory part or a part from one of big known vendors. If it has a premium price and is advertised as concours correct and "new and improved" it should fit and work as original. Take the seat rails. Close to $600 gets you something which does not work and is a step down from the versions original made by Brad despite being advertised as new and improved.

I wish we had people like Eric Linden in the 356 world who will provide us with high quality parts for a decent price. Brad used to do this (thanks Brad) but ever since management at Stoddard has been under new hands this has changed. Very sad to see that they are wasting one of the strongest assets in their business....Many of the parts issues they have right now would not be there if they would listen to Brad and actually try a part on the car before marketing it.

Excuse my sunday rant
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#164 Post by Jim Nelson »

I really don't like to cover the parts in tar that the factory did. I guess it's the right thing to do, but that stuff has a pot life of about 30 seconds, and now we know why in some of the original car pictures the tar looks like it was put on with a paint brush, or a broom.
Before:
IMG_2512.jpg
After (ugh....):
IMG_2515.jpg

Not going to belabor those tar pictures. Here's that little plug that covers the access hole for the rear latch (insulation is factory):
IMG_2504.jpg
And a little shiny stuff:
IMG_2501.jpg

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#165 Post by Jim Nelson »

C J Murray wrote:I am starting to be offended that your car is so perfect and exposes my cars for the total crap that they are.
Oh sure, start posting pictures of your latest project....it's gorgeous....