Spark plug challenged

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Dave Pugh
356 Fan

Spark plug challenged

#1 Post by Dave Pugh »

Now that I'm a card carrying member it's time to seek advice from the board.

I bought and shared my '64 SC a couple of weeks ago found in a garage in Orinda, CA. My goal is to do as much of the work as I can and within reason. SO, today I was going to remove all of the plugs and add some Marvels Mystery Oil to each of the cylinders as I slowly wake the motor up. The front plugs were no problem but the back look to be impossible without dropping the motor.

Do you guys have any advice?

Also, anyone recommend a "How to" book I should buy? It's hard to trust the Amazon reviews.

All opinions matter! :D

I'm very tempted to drop the motor for all the right reason but will need another hand to do so.

Thanks!!

Happy Holidays!

Dave Pugh

Matthew Devereux
356 Fan

Re: Spark plug challenged

#2 Post by Matthew Devereux »

The motor doesn't have to come out to get at the back plugs. Its a blind maneuver but isn't too hard with the right socket and extensions.
Matthew Devereux
'00 Boxster S
'58 356A coupe

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#3 Post by Doug McDonnell »

As Matthew said,not that hard to do. But you will be removing your engine at some point. Now is the perfect time to get service manuals AND spare parts manuals from Charlie White. You will never be sorry that you got them. DerWhite@aol.com PS We are all waiting for pictures of your car now that you have it home!
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Bill Oldham
356 Fan

#4 Post by Bill Oldham »

If home is still in or near Orinda, you could get help here. I am in Orinda, as is Alan Hall and Hank Tarbell. I have the right sockets to attack plugs, even if Weber manifolds are in the way. Of course with proper Solex manifolds it's easy
Bill

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Doug McDonnell »

You are lucky Dave! Invite them all over for beer and brauts and you have tutors!
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Dave Pugh
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dave Pugh »

Bill/Doug,

Thanks for the advice on the books and supplying beer! I'm in Mill Valley which makes for a long drive to remove
a couple of spark plugs. :)

Please let me know if you have a mobile mechanic that would be able to help drop the motor. I have so much
work to do with brakes frozen (replacing brake lines, rebuilding calipers, etc.) fuel tank drained and cleaning. Both the clutch and
accelerator pedal and carb linkage operate which is a plus. I'm sure a carb rebuild is on the horizon too.

I've tried to download additional pix but the format doesn't work off my good camera. I'll get some pix with my
iPhone soon.

This is a lot to chew on and the romance of a "black plate SC garage find" is slowly wearing off. :) Seeing the original Sky Blue
under the door panels today was exciting and keeps my positive attitude remaining high.

I'll be at EASY this Saturday.

Best,

Dave Pugh