A 63 RHD in Australia: Refurbishing and preserving

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

Re: A 63 RHD in Australia: Refurbishing and preserving

#16 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

Went through the brake system today. Messy job but used the 'family' method as my low pressure Motive pressure pump would not find a seal on the old ally reservoir top (have ordered a new one - in plastic). Replaced all the flexible lines and cleaned out the hard lines. The flexible lines seemed to be the original ATE and were almost completely occluded. Three of the bleed screws were blocked also. Amazing the brakes worked at all ...

New bleed screws and checked the wheel cylinders and they seemed to be good with new stainless inserts and pistons and good seals. No leaks. Adjusted the whole lot up and they work pretty well actually. Better than I thought and pull up straight. I have a couple of rear axle seal sets also that I will install at some stage.

I found a NOS master cylinder wrapped up in my boxes of goodies and may fit that when I get the new reservoir, if it works properly. Probably should go twin circuit. Can that be done with drums?
Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

M Penta
356 Fan

#17 Post by M Penta »

I'm not sure if the twin chamber should be used with drums or not. It is intended for 4 wheel discs and may have different chamber sizes front and rear for proper proportioning of disc brake system. Maybe not a big deal though?

Proportioning can be accomplished by valve, line size or master cyl/brake cyl chamber size.
While an entirely different vehicle, I converted my drum brake equipped van to dual chamber and it does brake a little bit harder in the back than it used to. It will be converted to front discs with proportioning valve soon though.

'EDIT', did a quick search and found some info here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39014&p=239816&hili ... yl#p239816

As it turns out the bore sizes are different, and it does matter. Also, the MC for drum cars has different residual pressure valve. Apparently ZIM's has a kit for proper conversion of drum brake cars.

Mark

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

#18 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

Thanks Mark - I will check out ZIM's. Seems a sensible, non-original mod.
Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB