Chrome door window trim repair

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Max Handley
356 Fan

Chrome door window trim repair

#1 Post by Max Handley »

Mine came back from the chrome shop with the front mounting tab missing.

To replace I used 1/8 brass stock cut to size. I placed the trim piece in the door and used the original mounting holes for reference. Then looking up from these holes to the chrome trim I marked with a felt tip pen the chrome trim for the approx width of the intended brass piece to be used. For this I approximated the width to about 3/8 wider each side of the orig.mounting holes below.This reference will also give you the amount of chrome to remove down to the brass base.This is a very small edge ( 1/8" )just below the rubber channel and you need to get it down to the brass base. You will have to round the top of the brass tab to match the door profile and get a good fit to the 1/8 area of the trim, use your vice and hammer to achieve. You will need to use a medium size soldering iron to tin this edge and the back Side of the brass piece you will be soldering to it.
To use the orig. mounting holes your brass tab you made must be perfectly soldered in position. I mounted the chrome trim in a vise using rags to protect the the chrome.this is where it can get a little tricky. Working with the both pieces that are properly tinned you will need to apply solder to the brass tab top while holding it in place with some small vice grips. Try to get the same angle as the mounting flange that holds the fuzzy strip.
This procedure may take several attempts to sweat the tab in perfect position but with patience you can do this.Dont forget to use masking tape on door top below the chrome trim to protect the paint.

Since this is a no stress area I used 50/50 tin & solder but 40/60 would be just as good. If it fails I will report back.

Well after repeated closing of the door the solder joint failed....looks like it will need to be brazed ....more stress on that joint then suspected. As many of you know the internals of the door need to be gutted to remove this trim piece....getting good at door internals disassembly & assembly. Dam the Chromer.

Anyone used silver solder as a brazing medium. Stats suggest it's a very strong bonding material. It's a small area of attachement so I may just use brass welding rod.Will the chrome turn blue with the heat necessary for brazing ? I'll report back when I either screw it up or have success.

Well no success using the brazing method with the Bernzomatic Ox 2550 (map gas / oxygen )and copper welding rod supplied in the kit. This was the rod reccomended by Bernzomatic help line. Way too hot for this application, bubbled the chrome and didn't even melt the weld rod. I set up the piece to be welded on aluminum plate , and am thinking this was too much of a heat sink for this procedure..Never attempted to braze before....live & learn. Maybe it would have worked using a lesser heat source ( regular butane torch) and a good silver solder. With this a much lower heat source needed.

Although I would like to use this original piece it's probably not worth the effort. It could be dechromed and then I could braze on the fab'd tab and have it re-chromed but the time & cost doesn't make sense. I will use a repo part and keep this for a later project. I don't give up easily but I need to get this door reassembled and move on with the final assembly. I haven't had any feedback from any members who have successfully used the silver solder attachment method in a similar situation. Please respond if you have.

Hello Stoddard...

You have to buy these in pairs. If anyone needs a right (Passenger side) let me know. I will save you at least 1/2 cost . These are new from Stoddards.email : spyderwerks@comcast.net
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
 Contact email Spyderwerks@comcast.net