356C Steering Column

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

Re: 356C Steering Column

#16 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Very nicely done! Wrapped around the edge just right and the correct amount of padding on the dash top--not too little, not too much, juuuuust right...
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#17 Post by Eric McKinley »

Thanks Sebastian, credit goes to the pictures I gleaned of other registry members cars.

On a separate note I connected up the steering shaft today, it has been connected correctly at the coupler end and the steering outer tube, number 28 slipped over the top.
The bearing was then put in place, number 29, then the compression spring, number 30.

The problem I appear to have is that the steering shaft has movement in the steering outer tube.
I have marked the steering shaft with an X in the picture. I am able to hold the threaded end of the shaft and move it around freely about a 1/4 of an inch, full 360 degree.
If I connect the steering wheel to this with the washer and nut, I will have this movement of the steering wheel.

Am I missing something?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Larry Coreth
356 Fan

#18 Post by Larry Coreth »

Eric,

The steering wheel holds the whole mess together ! See manual pg. S ,36, 37, 38.
Put the steering wheel in place finger tighten the center nut and voila should be minimal play !
Did you adjust the outer tube and inner tubes per page S 38 ? Very important !
I am assuming you have a B/C shop manual If not, you would well advised to get a copy.
Larry Coreth
Roanoake Rapids, NC

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#19 Post by Eric McKinley »

Thanks Larry,

I'll revisit the whole thing today with a fresh perspective.
I will adjust everything as you say, in relation to the inner tube, I simply slid this into place in the coupler, it has a recess as does the coupler for the bolt, when these 2 recesses met, I placed the bolt into place and tightened.
In relation to the outer tube, again I pushed this into place through the rubber grommet until the bolt holes at the under dash matched up with the clamp on the tube.
I will adjust as per the manual.
I do have an electronic copy of the workshop manual which I refer too.
I've been keeping a look out for a copy at the right price.

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#20 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Hi Eric,

I had the same problem with play at the wheel after replacing my turn signal switch in my C coupe (also rebuilt by 356a!). Here's the thread with advice from the group and my solution:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38314

It turned out to be the column tube position relative to the shaft.

-Sean

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#21 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Here are the measurements mentioned by Larry and Sean. You will have to drop the steering column down again to install the tachometer.
Attachments
steering wheel measurements.JPG
steering wheel measurements.JPG (74.09 KiB) Viewed 4774 times
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#22 Post by Eric McKinley »

Sean,

It's a confusing one for me to understand.

I placed the tube in the rubber grommet and inserted it far enough to allow me to insert the 2 screws at the dash area.
I would have thought that this is the correct place, however I must be wrong.

What am I not grasping?

Larry Coreth
356 Fan

#23 Post by Larry Coreth »

Erick,
Look at the drawing on pg. S 38 closely. Note the outer housing is located by the U bolt clamp and screws which fit to the dash board underside, fixed, however the inner tube may slide up and down inside of the outer housing and is located by the measurement "B" and the clamp part # 18 in the parts dwg. which holds it in place when tightened.

If this dimension is not set correctly the steering wheel bearing will not be snug, result play of the steering when installed.
It is also important that the correct T-6/C steering coupler is used and the shaft s are inserted correctly to the bolt cut-outs. In place of a real T-6/C coupler (very high dollar) there are aftermarket substitutes available.

look at the drawing on pg.
Larry Coreth
Roanoake Rapids, NC

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#24 Post by Eric McKinley »

Thanks Larry,

I'm going to have a very close look at it tomorrow and see how I get on.

I just replaced the coupler with a solid 1 piece rather than the 2 piece with washers as spacers that came with the caR.
Attachments
image.jpg

Larry Coreth
356 Fan

#25 Post by Larry Coreth »

Erick,
Looks like the right one !! Hope you didn't have to pay an obscene amount of cash for it !
Larry Coreth
Roanoake Rapids, NC

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#26 Post by Eric McKinley »

Larry,

It's a very close copy of the original from Roger Bray.

The cost is very reasonable compared to the original, 27.95 pounds.

Definitely worth considering opposed to the original cost.
Attachments
image.jpg

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#27 Post by Eric McKinley »

This was one of those jobs that I put on the back burner and did other jobs that I considered easier to make me feel that the car was progressing.
However I can't put it off any longer and plan to tackle it in 2 weeks, so just getting my homework done before I start.
Could someone please cast an eye over these diagrams and pictures and see if I have this correct.
I have read over Sean's thread numerous times and gone over the advise given by members on this thread.
All helpful.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#28 Post by Eric McKinley »

I have just looked at the middle picture.

It's difficult to see the measurement, it reads 23.5 mm, from the top of part 21 to the end of the threaded shaft.

Larry Coreth
356 Fan

#29 Post by Larry Coreth »

Eric ,

It all looks to be in spec.
Now plop on the steering wheel hand tighten the central nut and all should be right , play radially ,>1/32"(0.8mm) play in & out (axially) <1/64"(0.4mm).
Note:, and you should have realized this previously that the steering must be installed for there to be minimal play all around since the inner half of the steering shaft bearing is on the steering wheel.
Larry Coreth
Roanoake Rapids, NC

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#30 Post by Eric McKinley »

Larry, thank you for the reply.

The middle picture is not my assembly, just a clear picture I found and added the text too.

I needed to confirm I have a grasp on the measurements and that they equate to the start and finish points I think they do.
In the middle picture I am not very clear with the arrow, it is pointing at the end of the outer tube and finishes at the end of the threaded bar, the inner tube, 23.5mm, is that correct?
The second measurement shows the outer tuber, number 21 is 6.5mm lower than part 9, again is this correct?
If I have these measurements right it should go together correctly.