New to the 356 world

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Dave Pugh
356 Fan

Re: New to the 356 world

#16 Post by Dave Pugh »

M Penta,

I've considered the avenue of removing the Silver paint however I think at the time of the Earl Schieb paint job the car was worth probably $1500 and not a lot of prep went into the paint. #bummer

Once the carbs are rebuilt and valves adjusted the car should be how I'd like to drive it for a while. I think you're headed for a complete redo of your car and I've been down that road before with a '73 S. I never drove the car for fear of anything happening and ended up selling it which led me to my first 356. #happy

Dave

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#17 Post by Dan Epperly »

Dave Pugh wrote:M Penta,

I've considered the avenue of removing the Silver paint however I think at the time of the Earl Schieb paint job the car was worth probably $1500 and not a lot of prep went into the paint. #bummer

Once the carbs are rebuilt and valves adjusted the car should be how I'd like to drive it for a while. I think you're headed for a complete redo of your car and I've been down that road before with a '73 S. I never drove the car for fear of anything happening and ended up selling it which led me to my first 356. #happy

Dave
I've taken quite a few split window buses and couple Porsches down to original paint and usually the cheaper the resprays paint job the better. That means they did minimal bodywork and minimal prep, sometimes not even scuffing up the original paint. The top coat is easy to remove with any hardware store stripper, I like Jasco. If you are lucky there will be primer under the top coat which the stripper usually doesn't remove but come off with lacquer thinner. It never hurts to do a little area to see what you got underneath that paint and if it is going to get a respray that crap has to come off eventually anyway.

M Penta
356 Fan

#18 Post by M Penta »

Hi Dave,
Do you plan to remove the engine? Not only will it make the work easier, but will also allow you to check/lube the release bearing (among other things).

The release bearing in my car would have been killed quickly if it were to be used as dry/crunchy as it was. I ended up re greasing it and will probably reuse it since it is perfectly smooth now.

As for my car - a complete redo in many respects, but not a bare shell restoration. The paint is so so (redone original color in 80's), so I do not have to worry too much about it at this point. I have considered going down to original paint, and may try this before committing to new paint (which is not in the cards right now anyway).

I hear you though, I will be afraid to drive it since the bottom will be so clean, and I live on a dirt road... I am so tired of this dam dirt road!

Dan, thanks for the tips on repaint removal.

Best of luck,

Mark

Dave Pugh
356 Fan

#19 Post by Dave Pugh »

Well, it's been a little over a month since pulling my car from a garage in Orinda, CA. This morning I drove the car for the first time (legally). Lot's of work done to the platform from bearings, brakes, fuel lines, new tires etc. ( you get the picture). Still need to get shocks and some weeping from the carbs figured out. Hope to drive to EASY this Saturday for a 65 mile round trip.
Attachments
IMG_4500.JPG

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#20 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Love it. A true Phoenix story! Up from the ashes.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Dave Pugh
356 Fan

#21 Post by Dave Pugh »

And she was and still is very "ashy"!

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#22 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Yeah But you can drive it to the grocery store or soccer field without worries.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Mark Cohn
356 Fan

#23 Post by Mark Cohn »

They are sooo much more fun when you can jump in them and go for a drive. You don't have to worry about door dings and rocks chips either!

Dave Pugh
356 Fan

#24 Post by Dave Pugh »

A great day for a 356, my camera and a great location at the Headlands in NorCal only to be spoiled by a throwout bearing going. I did manage to make it home slowly.
Attachments
DSC01060.jpg
DSC01057.jpg
DSC01057.jpg
DSC01054.jpg

M Penta
356 Fan

#25 Post by M Penta »

Congrats on driving it already (and sorry if I jinxed you with the release bearing problem)!

I hate having to pull an engine or trans for release bearing, they should be greaseable!

Nice choice in tires, looks good.

Dave Pugh
356 Fan

#26 Post by Dave Pugh »

Thanks M Penta for your "throwout bearing curse"! :)

Looks like the bushings in my shift linkage were completely gone which was the real culprit of my shifting going out but also my bearing is making the whinny noise associated with going bad. As the guys at Hi-Tech were taking out the shift linkage they'd found a mice nest under the passenger floor board. According to their take, it was a 3 story luxury condo built out of all kinds of stuff. This was a 35 year effort by these mice. :)

Just another reason to love this car.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#27 Post by Doug McDonnell »

You will be astounded by the difference shifting with new bushings.

Ed Pimm
356 Fan

#28 Post by Ed Pimm »

Ed Pimm

Dave Pugh
356 Fan

#29 Post by Dave Pugh »

I'm guessing this may be one of the longest time between posts. I've moved to Arizona in January with my car following in May giving me just enough time to drive my car before the real heat happens. So far I've put 1500 miles on her after all of the work done on the platform and getting the once frozen motor in working order. I've also added a custom roof rack from Pedro whom I met on Samba.

Love driving the car even when it's still hot.

This past weekend I got the car out for a drive to Saguaro Lake which is an amazing place.
Attachments
DSC01304.jpg

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#30 Post by Doug McDonnell »

If you get up to Prescott in your travels look up Kenny Rogers a transplanted Michigander with VW roots who has a C coupe.