A few questions on car disassembly

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
travisthompson
356 Fan

A few questions on car disassembly

#1 Post by travisthompson »

I did a search on some of these but still have questions. Tried heat, aero- kroil...

1) Door rubber threshold trim, trim along door window. Hardware is rusted in place. Phillips screw head disintegrates when I try to turn it. I try to drill out the tiny screws and broke a few bits so not sure what I am doing wrong. Any other way to do this as drilling out will still leave behind the screw stud. I am sure studs will snap off when I turn them with vice grips creating another problem.

2) Reflector above taillight. It just spins around when I wrench on the nut. What is a good way to hold it in place w/o gouging it?

3) Rear shock. What size is the allen for holding the shaft in place. Mine looks partially filled in so getting something into that notch has not been so easy.

Thanks!
'62 S90 coupe, black
'87 911 coupe, guards red

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

Re: A few questions on car disassembly

#2 Post by Steve Harrison »

Hello Travis,

I'd suggest posting your questions over in the main discussion forum. Lots more folks look at that daily than the projects forum. You'll surely get some good suggestions.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: A few questions on car disassembly

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

Travis:

I'd try the Vise Grips approach if there is enough to grab on to. Use of Kroil and heat would help as well.

Sometimes the threaded portion at the reflector end will become unattached and the reflector will just spin. It might be best to unbolt the chrome console from the body first, then play with it. I'm assuming you are trying to loosen the chrome nut. It actually locks the reflector to the console. Once loosened, you might be able to unscrew the reflector from the console (if the threaded part is still attached to the reflector).

Sorry I can't answer your last question. My car is in restoration so I can't check it for you.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe