Stoddard 5.5" chrome-plated wheels

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Jake Jacobi
356 Fan

Stoddard 5.5" chrome-plated wheels

#1 Post by Jake Jacobi »

The last step in a total restoration of my 1964 SC coupe was to purchase Stoddard's new 5.5" triple-chrome-plated wheels (SIC-361-022-20); sorry, but the 4.5"-ers look too much like "bicycle wheels" for my liking. Yes, I am holding onto the originals (correctly date stamped), as they will become part of the historical package (my technician's words) of original, but replaced, parts that will go with the car when I am finally too old to climb out of the driver's seat and realize that maybe it's time to sell.

The following is part of the detail from Stoddard's catalog listing of these wheels:

".....42mm offset Fits 911 / 912. May contact 356C and SC rear suspension stop mount, which can be modified or a wheel spacer can be used."

We (that's me and my technician/mechanic) have found that the situation, at least with my car, is a little more involved than that simple comment would seem to indicate. Yes, we will have to use spacers, probably 3/8", to move the wheels out to where they need to be to prevent rubbing. Doing this, however, results in the wheel studs being too short to even reach the outer plane of the lug nut. In other words, the threads toward the outer end of the lug nut aren't grabbing anything; the very end of the stud remains "buried" inside the lug nut. At speed, I'd prefer these two played together a little better. This may or may not be a safety issue, but who wants to make that call?

The long and short of it for me comes down to the fact that I have to buy new, longer wheel studs and spacers. Because this is beyond my abilities, I also have to pay to have the work done. With the parts coming in close to $300, along with a shop bill in the $500 range, I find this to be a relatively expensive fix.

Has anyone who's purchased these particular wheels had a different experience in fitting them to the car? Have you tried modifying the rear suspension stop mount, suggested as a possible solution, and, if so, what did you learn?

As always, you guys are great, and many times in the past you've been a big help to me in this process, for which I am always grateful.

Jake Jacobi
Dennis A. Jacobi

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

Re: Stoddard 5.5" chrome-plated wheels

#2 Post by Dave Erickson »

Dennis, just another data point: I have original 911/912 5.5" wheels on my 64 C, and never had a problem with rubbing. They don't require spacers. So I wonder why Stoddard's wheels have the issue? Do they have the correct offset? I'm away from home this week, otherwise I would measure the originals so you could compare. If no-one else posts the info, check with me next week.

Dave