where to mount fog light relay? 59 conv D

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Dean Spooner
356 Fan
Tag: Deans D

where to mount fog light relay? 59 conv D

#1 Post by Dean Spooner »

Trying to put together my D. I took apart 41 yrs. ago.Not sure where the relay should be mounted?Help PLEASE.

Joris Koning
356 Fan

Re: where to mount fog light relay? 59 conv D

#2 Post by Joris Koning »

A cars did not use a fog light relay. I have looked at several A cars factory equipped with fog lights and none of them had a relay. I think the yellow relay was first used on the early T-5 cars
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

Re: where to mount fog light relay? 59 conv D

#3 Post by Harlan Halsey »

I think Joris is correct. A cars didn't use a headlight relay either. They had a headlight flasher relay and a horn relay so that the power didn't have to be routed through the steering wheel. The B/C cars had a headlight relay because the headlight high/low switch was on the steering wheel stalk rather than on the floor. Today it makes sense to me to route the power as directly as possible and use the switches for the relay control circuit. That helps save the switches.
I want the fog lights to be available when parking lights or headlights are on. Therefore I will jumper always on power from the flasher relay and run it through another relay mounted nearby and to the power side of the fog light fuses. The fog light switch will be connected to the parking light terminal on the headlight switch and then through the relay coil to ground. I anticipate making this car 12v. so I'm not too concerned about the voltage drop. Were it to be a 6v. car I might consider putting a relay on each side of the front trunk well and powering them directly from the battery through fusible links and using the original wires for the relay control circuit.