WCSTA Vote Vote Vote

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!

Vote for the most deserving

Poll ended at Thu May 21, 2015 5:13 pm

#1: Rich Ewald's 1957 356A Coupe's
1%
#4: Jeff Graham's 1956 Speedster
5%
#6: Harlan Halsey's Project is a 1956 T1
4%
#7: Mark Pelkey's 1958 Cabriolet
4%
#8: Jim Slaby's 1959A Father and Son Project
14%
#12: Tom Nelson 1958 Sunroof Coupe
2%
#17: Tom Miller's 1952 356 1500S Coupe
19%
#20: Daryl Bertam's 1953 Pre A Coupe
6%
#22: Andreas Rauer and his son's 1959 T2 Coupe
4%
#25: Trevor Gates' 356 Project in Three Pieces
13%
#26: Philip Bernard's 1957 356A Coupe
16%
#28: Mark Todorovich's 1956 Speedster
11%

Total votes: 159

Joe Johnson
356 Fan

WCSTA Vote Vote Vote

#1 Post by Joe Johnson »

Please vote for the most deserving candidate in Stoddard/NLA's "We can save them all" contest. Only one vote per 356 Registry member, and you may only vote for one car.
Please see 356 Talk on the Registry's website under Projects for details on each project.

The winner will receive $5000 in sheet metal from Stoddard/NLA, plus another $2500 in finishing parts.

To see the "Dirty Dozen" see http://www.stoddard.com/Werkstatte/dirtydozen/ and on 356Talk

This vote is for the "Dirty Dozen" and will narrow the final vote to the "Final Four" starting on May 22.

Vote for one car only

WCSTA -01 viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38801
WCSTA -04 viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38691
WCSTA -06 viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38752
WCSTA -07 viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38789
WCSTA -08 viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38822
WCSTA -12 viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38898
WCSTA -20 viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39020
WCSTA -22 viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39032
WCSTA -25 viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29204
WCSTA -26 viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39073
WCSTA -28 viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39078
Edited by Moderator - added links to each finalists' thread - Greg Bryan

Please note that Tom Miller has withdrawn from the competition.

Per Schroeder
356 Fan

Re: WCSTA Vote Vote Vote

#2 Post by Per Schroeder »

Thanks Joe..

The "Dirty Dozen" candidates were chosen by Stoddard based upon the level of difficulty for restoration and the project’s backstory. The worse the car is and the better the story and pictures were, the more we wanted it in the final grouping. We also looked at the likelihood of timely project completion and the ability of the winner to supply the 356 Registry and Stoddard with regular updates and images throughout the restoration process.

We're hoping that by opening this up a bit we can engage the 356 Registry better and have even more fun with this co-operative project.
Per Schroeder
Stoddard
LA Lit Meet Organizer

richard lanning
356 Fan

#3 Post by richard lanning »

don't you have pictures of each candidate to show?

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan
Tag: '63 S/R project, '80 911SC, '11 Cayenne

#4 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

I think you guys are nuts, these are all early tubs. Where are the candidates that have more promise and more salvageable engineering. Sure I love the soft curves of the early models, but where is the balance I expect from such a deep abiding for the whole of 356 community? Where is the balance in the dirty dozen for the history of the mark?

As an afterthought, photos would have made a nice rememberance of the stories lingering in our memories. Were we supposed to remember only the names of the owners of these tubs, ha? I remember the hulks and their stories better than I recall the identity of the rightful members who submitted their projects. Maybe I'm a car person more than a people person. Is it not the tub that requires support as much as the personage into whose hands their destiny lies?

Marc Jordan
356 Fan

#5 Post by Marc Jordan »

Glen,
Good post. I agree with you.
Marc Jordan

neil blaber
356 Fan

#6 Post by neil blaber »

as its only open to US residents i think only US residents should vote, besides that i personally believe 95% of the cars entered won't get finished! i hope my negative cynical comments will provoke all of the entrants to finish and prove me wrong, but lets face it, anyone who loves their car and keeps it locked up for years on end without any progress and then suddenly pulls it out due to a competition, i think its sad
instagram - neilblaber

Per Schroeder
356 Fan

#7 Post by Per Schroeder »

Glen, yes, photos and links to the backstories would be helpful--not quite sure how to do that with a phpBB poll, but here's a rundown of the final dozen cars, with links back to their respective threads:

http://www.stoddard.com/Werkstatte/dirtydozen/

As I mentioned, it wasn't easy to narrow this field down--but as we followed the guidelines, the worst cars/best stories/best likelihood of getting finished tended to be early cars.

We are discussing making this a regular *thing* and appreciate the chance to be a part of this community. Thanks for the feedback!

Per

edit: fixed link. It's too early on a Saturday to type.
Per Schroeder
Stoddard
LA Lit Meet Organizer

Gordon Maltby
Registry Hall of Fame

#8 Post by Gordon Maltby »

richard lanning wrote:don't you have pictures of each candidate to show?
Yes, of course. The photos and descriptions have been up for weeks. For those who came late to this party, you're one click away from all the candidates.

You're currently reading a particular thread in the "356 Projects" forum. Depending on your platform, you can look at the top left of the page where you will see "Board Index - 356 Talk - 356 Projects". Click on "356 Projects" and check out all the threads that say "WCSTA..."

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#9 Post by Greg Bryan »

I added links to each of the contestants' threads in Joe's post right below the ballot - hopefully this will make it easier to look at each candidate.
Greg Bryan

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#10 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Vic and I already voted, we took into consideration who we thought would actually use the parts furnished to complete their car themselves. We believe that some of the contenders will most probably just sell the "free" parts and their unrestored car to the highest offer. So we voted for the person who is working on his car himself and has shown progress on his car already. Barbara and Vic

David Gensler
356 Fan

#11 Post by David Gensler »

"We can save them all". But should we? Perhaps some should be left to die in peace.

Always really enjoyed the Hemmings "Rust" calendars.
David Gensler

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#12 Post by Joris Koning »

I think David raises a good point! So does Vic.

I really hope the winner will be someone who actually uses the parts to finish their project. I also hope it will be a private individual and not a dealer, even if the car is a personal project
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Per Schroeder
356 Fan

#13 Post by Per Schroeder »

We've got two days to go in this round of voting and we've gotten a bit of a shakeup at the top. Tom Miller (Car #17) has withdrawn his entry. He got an offer he couldn't refuse and decided to bow out from the contest. We appreciate Tom's sportsmanlike conduct!

So, if you haven't gotten your vote in, do so now--there's not much time left before the last FOUR go into the final round of voting on 5/23.

We will see about amending the above poll so that Tom's votes are nullified/whatever. Stay tuned.

Per
Per Schroeder
Stoddard
LA Lit Meet Organizer

Per Schroeder
356 Fan

#14 Post by Per Schroeder »

Ok, we've got until midnight tonight or thereabouts and then we'll move into the final four….
Per Schroeder
Stoddard
LA Lit Meet Organizer