WCSTA -29- "Interim Bumper" bent window coupe

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Brady Owen
356 Fan

WCSTA -29- "Interim Bumper" bent window coupe

#1 Post by Brady Owen »

While searching for parts for a different project, I made contact with an individual that was unknown to me at the time, but apparently had a similar car of the same era. This pre A coupe, (VIN #11510), was originally delivered to the US in the summer of 1952, was one of the earlier bent window cars with the interim stand off bumpers. The "interim bumper",(similar to but not the same as the standard "A" style that followed later that year), was used from what seems to be late 1951 until sometime in the fall of 1952. While there appears to have been several "body bumper" formats, the "interim bumpers " appear to have been limited to the above noted time frame only.

The previous owner had purchased the car for inexpensive transportation approximately 42 year ago, around $300.00 at the time. Approximately 20 years ago, the car became a garage queen. When the original contact was made this pre " A" model had been disassembled down to and including the door hinges. Glass, doors, the bumpers, cans of hardware and boxes of parts were set aside and diligently separated. As so commonly happens, some parts have grown legs and wandered off over the years. The car was disassembled with an eye on bringing it back to a useful life. Some metal work had been attempted, but almost all the previous undercarriage work will need to be redone to be correct.

Six months after our original meeting and after occupying a large part of the garage space for what appeared to be about 18 years, the previous owner decided to let his long term project go. Lucky me!!!
Attachments
52.510 drivers door.jpg