Starting 356 normal engine out of car: TURNS OVER TOO SLOW

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
travisthompson
356 Fan

Starting 356 normal engine out of car: TURNS OVER TOO SLOW

#1 Post by travisthompson »

When I try to start it, it turns over slowly about 1 rev per second. I get about half a dozen tries and the battery looses its juice. This is on a fully charged 6v battery I bought last week. This is the second battery I have tried. The first one I thought was the problem so I exchanged it for this one and same problem. Maybe both are bad?

So my question is- before I take this battery back is there anything else that could cause the slow cranking? Timing maybe? This is my first attempt with these engines so have alot to learn. I did a valve adj for the first time and verified spark, oil pressure beforehand.
'62 S90 coupe, black
'87 911 coupe, guards red

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

Re: Starting 356 normal engine out of car: TURNS OVER TOO SL

#2 Post by Dave Wildrick »

travisthompson wrote:When I try to start it, it turns over slowly about 1 rev per second. I get about half a dozen tries and the battery looses its juice. This is on a fully charged 6v battery I bought last week. This is the second battery I have tried. The first one I thought was the problem so I exchanged it for this one and same problem. Maybe both are bad?

So my question is- before I take this battery back is there anything else that could cause the slow cranking? Timing maybe? This is my first attempt with these engines so have alot to learn. I did a valve adj for the first time and verified spark, oil pressure beforehand.
If the internals of the engine are good, then look to the starter bushing (or the starter itself) in your setup for firing up the engine out of the car.
If the bushing is too worn, you will get too much friction on the starter shaft and slow flywheel turnover. Bushings are very cheap compared with batteries.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

Re: Starting 356 normal engine out of car: TURNS OVER TOO SL

#3 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

travisthompson wrote:When I try to start it, it turns over slowly about 1 rev per second. I get about half a dozen tries and the battery looses its juice. This is on a fully charged 6v battery I bought last week. This is the second battery I have tried. The first one I thought was the problem so I exchanged it for this one and same problem. Maybe both are bad? .
Travis -
A photo showing the out-of-car mounting configuration of your engine would be helpful, as well as your set-up to run it.
Is your set-up perhaps similar to mine in the accompanying photo, showing battery/starter hook-up?
- Wil
Attachments
DSCN0227-C.JPG