WCSTA -23- : We CAN save this one!

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Robert Malke
356 Fan

WCSTA -23- : We CAN save this one!

#1 Post by Robert Malke »

Herr Doktor Putt Putt.......Here we have my prized 1959 356 T2 A Super, sunroof coupe that I first chased a few years back in the late 70's. His name is "Dr. Putt Putt". Finally in the early 80's, the owner sold me this project car with the stipulation that I had to buy the other two 356 projects as well - a '59 Coupe (export car) and a '60 Super cab. I was really only interested in the '59 sunroof car. My dad had always wanted a Porsche 356 "Mit Einen Schiebedach". So after a 911 or two we finally got a 356 that we both liked. I sold the cab to a friend of mine's son who had wanted it for a long time. He, over time restored it to its original Ruby Red luster (show Quality) condition. I traded the other '59 coupe to a another friend of mine in exchange for work on my car which never happened. He eventually went out of business and disappeared with the car. I still have the title, and that is another story for another time. The plan at the time was to take the proceeds from the other two 356's and fix the little guy up, but I was building up my business back then and that took priority. At some point Dr. Putt Putt was whacked on the right side, but not hard. As the story goes, it was fully disassembled (missing a lot of parts except the driveline) and stored on its side in a small storage unit during the early 70's. It became a memory. This accounts for why one side of the car is kind of scuffed and flat. Over the years it's just been sitting in our garage, patiently waiting for us to get around to restoring it. About 5 years ago, my son and I transported it to a well known shop in the area to have just the metal and structural work done properly (floors, lips, longitudinals and such). Well, what started out as a $5,000 job, very quickly escalated into a $12,000 bill. I felt jipped, so after nearly a year, $5,000 and nothing to show for it, we pulled the car out and brought Dr. Putt Putt back home where he is nice and safe. This is a very late car, within the last 20 "A's" built. It was originally a 1600 S, silver with black leather, look forward to driving our little tub.
Attachments
1959 356 T2 A 1600 Super Sunroof Coupe... just hanging around in the Emergency Room.
1959 356 T2 A 1600 Super Sunroof Coupe... just hanging around in the Emergency Room.