WCSTA -22- 1959 T2 Coupe 104998, The Pumpkin!

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Andreas Rauer
356 Fan

Re: WCSTA -22- 1959 T2 Coupe 104998, The Pumpkin!

#16 Post by Andreas Rauer »

Interesting, interesting...
So, Mark, I think I saw a pic of another 1959 coupe with the interior light there. So maybe that's normal for an A.

But Tom, the steering wheel/column being from a T5/6 is curious. The same friend owns an SC Cabriolet, which he had restored a few years ago. I remember sneaking into that care too, as a kid (his son and I were best friends.) I remember burgundy leather, mothballs and the clunk of the door closing behind us, a nice solid feel and sound... Funny the things you remember as a kid. I wonder if there wasn't a third car somewhere around there that was used to keeping them running. The farm was sold about 10 years ago, so we'll probably never know...

When I get home, I'll see if I can find those 1959 pics, and others of a C to look at the steering. I'll post what I find. :D
Maybe you guys just convinced us we need to get the COA!
“Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.”
- Thomas A. Edison (1847 – 1931)

Andreas Rauer
356 Fan

#17 Post by Andreas Rauer »

So, I found a few pics that confirm my suspicion about the interior light, and Tom's sharp eye about the T5/6 steering setup. These pics came from these two sites: http://cprclassic.com/images/carsprevio ... ow64Coupe/ and http://www.sunsetclassics.com/1959-porsche-356a/. I'm not endorsing these sites in any way, or recommending their services, just giving them credit for some great pics...

By the way, what do you guys think about our handsome steering wheel wrap/grip?
Attachments
1959-Porsche-356A-045.jpg
1959-Porsche-356A-059.jpg
1959-Porsche-356A-063.jpg
1959-Porsche-356A-066.jpg
1959-Porsche-356A-067.jpg
1964 Porsche 356C Interior.jpg
1964 Porsche 356C Interior 2.jpg
1964 Porsche 356C.jpg
“Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.”

Mark Cohn
356 Fan

#18 Post by Mark Cohn »

Andreas Rauer wrote:
By the way, what do you guys think about our handsome steering wheel wrap/grip?

One word... Sweet...

Andreas Rauer
356 Fan

#19 Post by Andreas Rauer »

Well, it's been a while since I've been on here to post, and it's been interesting to read the responses members have to the contest and participants. I can see the genuine concern with making sure the winner sticks to the task of fixing up their wreck, since it would be all too easy to win and sit on the winnings. Some of these cars require not only sheet metal, but some serious expertise to put back together properly. And while materials will get someone closer to the finish, it's time, knowledge and additional funds (for all those mechanical bits that are easily as wrecked as the visible spots) that are the ultimate requirements for getting the job done.

I remember looking through Hemmings magazine and the 356 Registry classifieds in the 90s and seeing cars for sale labeled as 'older restorations.' The term was something of a mark against the car or the owner, or both. It meant that the restorer used a mixed bag of tricks to get the job done, to get the car on the road or to keep it going. :wink: Generally speaking, the restoration trend has moved in the direction of doing everything right, to get as close to the factory as possible in material and technique. That's crazy daunting to the guy who just likes the look of the car, appreciates the history and thinks tinkering is fun. It can put a guy into paralysis, knowing he might be messing up a car's only chance at being done right, especially doing most of it himself. Except if he has some good, new metal to cut and weld into place. That's where these cars, the WCSTA cars really shine. How bad can you mess up one of these before someone thinks it's no worse a challenge than before you started?

Anyway, loads of luck to all the contestants. And even more luck to those of us who may not win Stoddard's panels, but persevere regardless! It's fun to see all these tubs still out there... :D