WCSTA -17- 1952 1500 Super Woody!

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Tom Miller
356 Fan
Instagram: millersportscars

Re: We Can Save Them All!

#1 Post by Tom Miller »

1952 356 1500S Coupe #12049 "Woods Find Tree Car"

They say every car has a story. This is the story as I know it. I’m sure there I chapters I don’t know. This car was built late in 1952. It was delivered to the Porsche dealership Luebeck Germany. The original color was rare black, and the original interior was blue, with a blue dashboard. I currently have someone researching the early sales history, as the dealership is still there. Apparently the owner of the dealership was friends with Dr Porsche and this was his personal car. It had been raced over in Europe, and here in states. It had white racing stripes at one point. The car has attachment for flat towing and a junction box in the car for using the brake lights of the tow car.

According to the Kardex the car was serviced by the factory 8 times from 1953 to 1956. In May of 1956 the roller crank gave out at 19,556 km. The original case # 40078 was replaced with a new KD case #31486, and re-used the bigger 40 PBIC carbs, intakes, cam etc. This engine was given a 6 month warranty by the factory. According to Brett Johnson, there were only 117 1952 1500 Supers.

I had purchased a well know Orange speedster raced by Ed Parlett from an airline pilot named Jack in Pennsylvania.
Jack collected all types of German autos, and broke up some for parts. When I purchased the Speedster, he asked me if I was interest in another 356. Yes, of course! Jack took me into his large back yard, and showed me a hulk of a 356 with a tree growing right out of the engine compartment! I thought, what a pity, this car will never see the road again. Well, over the years I thought about the car on and off and then went out to Jack’s place to buy some more 356 parts. I took a long look at the car again. I felt compelled to save it! Well, we struck a deal, and with an F-250 Super Duty truck, some winches, jacks, a chain saw, trailer and a (real) good friend, I was able to get the car home.

Jack told me the car was brought over the US about 30 years ago, which he got it shortly after. It was at a shop with a bad engine, and he bought it to part it out. It was told to have racing history in Europe. The car has special sockets to connect to a tow vehicle to use the taillights while towing. At one point the car was white with gold racing strips. Unfortunately, Jack’s barn was only so big, and out to the field it went. By time I got the car, it was missing quite a bit. The car is very rusty!!!! Will need all the help it can get. I had a pre A front fender and tacked it on.

The car now has a non-matching 1500 52 block # 30883. I purchased this motor from the late Hans Donner. The car seems to have the original trans, but not recorded on Kardex. I sourced many parts from 356 registry member Bjorn Stalesen such as the hood, deck lid grill, and doors, which a repairable but have rust on the bottoms.

I feel that the car was a special car, in that it was a rare color combo, with the hot motor, and serviced by the factory, owned and raced by a German Porsche dealer, who was friend with Dr Porsche. Hopefully it will get back on the road one day. Tom Miller.
Attachments
This the car after adding some doors and front suspension, drums and wheels.
This the car after adding some doors and front suspension, drums and wheels.
As found with tree growing out!
As found with tree growing out!

Tom Miller
356 Fan

WCSTA -17- 1952 1500 Super Woody!

#2 Post by Tom Miller »

WCSTA - 1952 1500 Super Woody! New entrant.

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

Re: WCSTA -17- 1952 1500 Super Woody!

#3 Post by Greg Bryan »

The tree is classic - love it!
Greg Bryan

Marc Jordan
356 Fan

#4 Post by Marc Jordan »

Congratulations Tom, Looks like you and John Carssow have made the final 3. Seems a little premature that the contest isn't even over and Stoddard is already featuring the cars in their advertising. But I guess since they are the ones picking the final 3 it doesn't matter. Oh well, one slot left, guess I can keep hoping. My car doesn't have that much rust but I surely need help restoring it. Maybe they should have labeled the contest Worst Rust Heap, Best Story(WRHBS).

Tom Miller
356 Fan

#5 Post by Tom Miller »

Thanks, yes this one needs all it can get..

Per Schroeder
356 Fan

#6 Post by Per Schroeder »

Hey--I'm just highlighting them as they come in. It's not over until the diet-challenged woman starts warbling.

Per
Per Schroeder
Stoddard
LA Lit Meet Organizer

Marc Jordan
356 Fan

#7 Post by Marc Jordan »

Per, I would agree if it weren't for the fact that the contest is still going on and you are already using them in your advertising. Never heard of a contest where the contestants are featured in private advertising before the contest is over. It is obvious that you have selected two of the three already. Since you are using them in your advertising it is only fair that you award each of them the prize, Then if the 3rd one wins by the vote then award all three. Maybe that is what you have in mind anyway. I know Stoddard is a very professional organization and adheres to the highest standards. Hope you don't just pick rust buckets and consider my entry also. Thanks, Marc

Tom Miller
356 Fan

#8 Post by Tom Miller »

Hi Marc, I say stay positive and let the voters vote! I think our members will look at each project objectively and hopefully weight in on such things as historical significance and rarity of the car being restored, and amount of effort to save such car. I think that there may still time for other cars to join the contest? Not sure, but I actually would like to see more. Good luck, Tom.

Per Schroeder
356 Fan

#9 Post by Per Schroeder »

I am actually posting all of the entries on our site as well--just promoting what neat cars people are bringing out of the woodwork. Pun intended for this thread.
Per Schroeder
Stoddard
LA Lit Meet Organizer

Tom Miller
356 Fan

#10 Post by Tom Miller »

Great Idea!

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#11 Post by James Davies »

Tom, this is a great story and great project! Let me know if I can be of any help.

I hope you win the WCSTA. This car needs it!

Tom Miller
356 Fan

#12 Post by Tom Miller »

Thanks James!! Your profile car looks interesting. What is it?

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#13 Post by Mark Sabbann »

Per Schroeder wrote:I am actually posting all of the entries on our site as well...
Per, can you provide a link to the cars on your website? Thanks.
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

Per Schroeder
356 Fan

#14 Post by Per Schroeder »

Just grabbing a shot of each and linking each one back to the 356 Project Page

http://www.stoddard.com/Werkstatte/cat/ ... stentries/
Per Schroeder
Stoddard
LA Lit Meet Organizer

Marc Jordan
356 Fan

#15 Post by Marc Jordan »

Per,
Really liked seeing all of the pictures of the cars entered into the contest on your website. Good Idea.
Marc