59 coupe paint

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Ron Taunt
356 Fan

59 coupe paint

#1 Post by Ron Taunt »

Best paint for my 59 coupe. I fully restored my 59A coupe 23 years ago doing all the work myself. It turned out to be a 10 year project and turned out beautifully. It now has some damage to the front and needs repair. The paint I used 23 years ago was 21 line Glasurit single stage enamal in Fjord Green. I sanded and buffed it out to a brilliant deep luster which has remained for all these years. It's been an almost daily driver and the paint is only now starting to look 23 years old. It's been a wonderful car. I'll install a new front clip. I have a custom paint booth in my shop with a very nice large two stage comprssor. I just purchased a Devilbiss Prolite gun with several caps and tips. I still want to use a single stage paint if I can that can be sanded and buffed out, and would really like to stay with Glasurit as its been an outstanding paint. What Glasutit system can I use? What are other people using on their cars? Do any use two stage systems? If so what does it do to the authenticity of the car. At 72 years old I'm sure this may be my last body and paint job. I'll remove all the trim and will replace all the rubber in the process. I would appreciate any advice and tips I can get.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: 59 coupe paint

#2 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Ron; best of luck with your repair. I can't offer any advice, except to say that Fjord Green is my favorite.
My first 356; 103614, 1958 coupe, was that color.

Ron Taunt
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ron Taunt »

Thanks anyway Vic. Maybe someone out there has the some answers.

Ron Taunt

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#4 Post by Jim Liberty »

Ron, you are gutsier than I. Paint of any manufacture is a chemical nightmare. If you visit an experienced shop, they will most likely have a "Pet" manufacturer, that they like, and supports their system. I say system, as the reducers come in several speeds, and the slightest difference in ambient humidity of temperature causes different results.

If it were me, I would take to a paint shop you trust. That is what I do after the metal work, and paint prep. I pay $2,000 to $2,500 to seal, mask, and shoot. does not include color sanding, or paint. Labor only.

...............................................................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#5 Post by Steve Harrison »

Glasurit still makes a single stage paint,...it's called the 22 line and it's a urethane acrylic. You can sand, cut, and polish it just like the old paints. It's quite expensive though,..about 650 a gallon, and that's before you buy the hardener and reducer. All in you're looking at about a thousand dollars for a coupe. Bummer you don't want pearl grey because I have a gallon I had mixed up and didn't use. I'd make you a screamin deal on it. (hint hint,..anyone else too. )
Glasurit was bought by BASF and you have to look hard for a distributor.

Ron Taunt
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ron Taunt »

Thanks Jim. I'm one of those guys that can't stand to let some else place a finger on my car. I like to do it all and legititmately be able to say "I restored my car". I bought my rust heap 28 years ago. Before I ever statred restoration I took body and fender classes, welding classes (Tig and Mig), upolstry classes, painting classes, and metal fabrication classes and purchased engine rebuild tapes from the Mistro. It all has been fun and has worked very well. Over the years I've sucsessfully rebuilt several engines and painted several cars and motercycles using the old paint systems. The new paints I've still got to learn. I'm a hands on old guy who has never hired anyone to do anything for me. It would kill me to have some else paint my car. I guess I'm from the old school, learn and do it yourself, or do it yourself and learn. I do need advice though with the new paint systems. I really would like to stick with the original Glasurit paint if I can and with the original single stage system that the car was originally painted with. It probably sounds like my car is my life but it really isn't. It's a car I try to drive daily. If it gets scratched or dented no big deal. It's just a car. Again I really appreciate your advice and time you have taken to respond to my plea.

Thanks Ron Taunt

Ron Taunt
356 Fan

#7 Post by Ron Taunt »

Thanks Steve. I have looked at the Glasurit 22 line. I know it is expensive. The old 21 line was expensive 23 years ago. But it is such good paint. At car shows people can't believe my car was painted 23 yearsa ago. I put signs on my car that says "please touch and enjoy my 1959 Porsche, all are welcome to sit in it". I have a blast. People are so careful and polite. I have never in 20 years had one singel problem. I have had problems with other car owners. They hate my signs. Why own such a nice car if you can't enjoy it with other people. The paint has withstood thousands of sticky childrens fingers. I judge car shows on how many finger prints I get. No prlblem, they just wipe off. I'm goofy I guess. But you can't take it with you. Thanks again. I'll look into the 22 line some more.

Ron Taunt

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#8 Post by Steve Harrison »

Ron,...I like your style.
: )

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#9 Post by Brian R Adams »

Ron Taunt wrote:Thanks Jim. I'm one of those guys that can't stand to let some else place a finger on my car. I like to do it all and legititmately be able to say "I restored my car".
From where I'm sitting, if you you do all the mechanical and metal work, and just have an expert clean, mask, and spray it, you have restored your car. The paint is like a kind of thin shrink wrap - it's not the car. That's why I appreciate a survivor with worn paint more than a mirror-like restored trailer queen. But since you have painted well before, and have the setup and equipment, I can see why you're keen to do it again.

Brian
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member

#10 Post by Jim Liberty »

Ron, I likeyour stile too. PPG makes a good single stage paint also. I only paint 356s with single stage.

Go for it Ron. ...........................Jim.
Jim Liberty

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#11 Post by John Lindstrom »

Anyone else have any tips for spraying 22 line on a 59?

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member

#12 Post by Jim Liberty »

Steve, +++1 on Glasurit single stage. My '54 is nearly ready for paint, and that is what I use. Never disappointing. ...................Jim.
Jim Liberty