Is it time for a large ball peen hammer?

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
ScottBerry
356 Fan

Is it time for a large ball peen hammer?

#1 Post by ScottBerry »

I have started to form up the batter box on my 356BT5. The battery box side panels are now in the correct position and correct distance out. I trimed the rear battery box floor and squared it up and positioned in place the vertical battery box back panel. I then positioned the battery box floor panel where the original box was situated so I think the rear vertical panel is the right place as far back as it can go.

With these new parts positioned, the floor of the battery box extends very far forward – well past the bottom flange of the side panels. Is this correct? Do I now need to get out a big ball peen hammer and start bending the edge of the front of the battery floor upwards to form the rough shape of the front panel? It looks like a lot of material and a lot of loss of battery box floor panel space. It also looks like part of the bending will involve bending at end of the depressions in the floor which will not be easy.

Members – can you help:
Are there any measurements you can supply? What is the distance/spacing between the torsion bar tube and the back of the battery box vertical panel for upper and lower torsion bar tube?
Is the floor in the right position and the front edge needs bending up to match the front box – or is partially trimed?
Can any members post up pictures of their project or recreation of this or original pictures of a 356BT5?

Any help always appreciated.

Thanks
Attachments
150320 rough position for floor - still lots of floor panel extending past lower edge of side panel.jpg
150320 battery box florr extnds past lower side panel.jpg
150320 side panel of battery box - floor extends forward past the edge.jpg
150320 back panel for battery box position close to torsion bar tube.jpg
1960 356B (110196) restoration project in progress
1968 912 Restoration Complete

neil blaber
356 Fan

Re: Is it time for a large ball peen hammer?

#2 Post by neil blaber »

it may not be the best picture i have found but...
$T2eC16d,!wsE9suwyw6jBQkoY51Fyw~~60_12.jpg
$T2eC16d,!wsE9suwyw6jBQkoY51Fyw~~60_12.jpg (21.95 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
$T2eC16N,!yUE9s6NDMq2BQkoZCK!ng~~60_12.jpg
$T2eC16N,!yUE9s6NDMq2BQkoZCK!ng~~60_12.jpg (25.89 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
not sure if they are t5 but hope they help....
instagram - neilblaber

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#3 Post by Vic Skirmants »

High bumper mounts; T-5. Thanks for posting.

ScottBerry
356 Fan

#4 Post by ScottBerry »

Thanks Neil and Vic. Can anyone post up some measurements? Such as the deep of the battery box floor? This would help tell me if it is in correct position and what amount of material get bent upward. Distance from start of angle up on the floor at the front to the rear side pieces as well. An distances from back of battery box to torsion bars of value too. Any help in helping me position this would be appreciated.
1960 356B (110196) restoration project in progress
1968 912 Restoration Complete