Heater control question for 1961 356B

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Alan Pershing
356 Fan

Heater control question for 1961 356B

#1 Post by Alan Pershing »

I've finally decided to fix my heater box flapper controls and need help understanding how all this works (preferably with pictures). Most of what I've read on the forum talks about the heater control for a "C" which seems to be a pretty straightforward lever (push and pull). Mine, of course, is the knob that looks like it was on my dad's mid-60's Volkswagen. I removed the shifter plate and there is a metal piece (square-ish at the top
and rounded at the bottom) with what looks like very thin wire attached to the threaded bolt that the heater knob turns. I'm assuming that is connected to the heater knob and then to the heater flapper control arms to open and close them. Is there a thread that describes how this works (again, ideally with pictures) showing the assembly for a "B"? I'm attaching a picture that shows the current orientation; if the hole where the wire loop is threaded faces back towards the driver (the orientation of the picture), the wire is twisted. If I turn it so the hole is facing forward the wire becomes parallel. How should it be oriented and does the wire wrap around the rounded bottom section of the metal piece when the heater knob is turned?

I have the control arms for the flapper boxes in place but nothing happens when the heater knob is turned.

Any help would be most appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_1555.jpg

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Heater control question for 1961 356B

#2 Post by David Jones »

Alan, the manual describes replacement very well, Take a look at the tech page and the section on the heater. Hope this link works for you.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/ClubExpressClu ... wimzrnU%3D
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Alan Pershing
356 Fan

#3 Post by Alan Pershing »

Hi David,

The link doesn't work. I'm getting the attached page when I click it:

Is there another link?

Thanks for the quick response!

Alan
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 2.46.34 PM.png

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#4 Post by David Jones »

That tech article is on the website main page. Just sign in and go to the 356B/C manuals.
Let me know by pm if you need more assistance.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Alan Pershing
356 Fan

#5 Post by Alan Pershing »

Thanks, I found the document but most importantly, the pages in the Workshop Manual! I have a full Workshop Manual but glossed over the Exhaust System section when I was looking for "Heater". I never connected the two together. So I have the pages open in my Workshop Manual and will start diving in.

Thanks again!

Alan