We Can Save Them All!

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Philip Bernard
356 Fan

Re: We Can Save Them All!

#76 Post by Philip Bernard »

Hi Per,
As the temporary caretaker of #26 and currently digging as deep as I can for more information I'd agree that significant cars such as Adam Wrights Daytona winner should get a bit of weight added. Having said that Stoddard may have better insight as to the methods needed to tease out the unknowns. I for one would love any effort expended to provide any of the participants with tidbits that they would otherwise not easily find, it would only add to the interest in this production.

Also and somewhat unrelated I'd like to openly thank Adam for withholding the Daytona car from the contest. Being involved in the industry he does have a leg up compared to someone who is scrambling to pull the information, parts and talent together to attempt a proper restoration. He could have easily and without regret entered the car based on the rules set however he chose not to. This attitude only reinforces what I've seen from him in the limited dealings I've had with Unobtainium, a quietly classy operation that knows it's possible to make a living and consider the best interests of their customers as well their cars at the same time. PJ

Per Schroeder
356 Fan

#77 Post by Per Schroeder »

I agree Phillip--although I invited Adam to submit whatever he wanted, just to see what kind of piece of crap (edit: fine German crap, that is) he could dig up.

That said--does anyone have an issue with us picking 6 for the final vote instead of 3?

Our internal discussions are going back and forth on condition, story and ability to finish, as we outlined in the rules--and yes, two of those things are on opposed ends of a spectrum.

Per
Per Schroeder
Stoddard
LA Lit Meet Organizer

Gary Carriveau
356 Fan

#78 Post by Gary Carriveau »

Per,
I think that it would help all of us, in addition to the 3 or 6 recommendations, if you could offer a set of guidelines on the criteria that might be used to evaluate the individual contestants.
Then, there is a better chance that we would be working from the same viewpoint.

Gary
'64 C Coupe
Gary W. Carriveau
'64 C Coupe

Per Schroeder
356 Fan

#79 Post by Per Schroeder »

Here's what we stated in the original rule set:

The candidates will be chosen based upon the level of difficulty for restoration and the project’s backstory. The worse the car is and the better the story and pictures are…the more likely it will be chosen for the top three! The car must be at the beginning of the restoration process—but the winner can be either a private individual or a restoration shop. We will also be selecting the final three based upon the likelihood of timely project completion and the ability of the winner to supply the 356 Registry and Stoddard with regular updates and images throughout the restoration process.

So, yes, not an easy guide as several of the items are opposed to each other.

I'm just about ready to give our list of the final six to be put up as a poll. I was tempted to say "uncle" and just ask for a poll with 12 choices, but had to narrow it down a bit further...
Per Schroeder
Stoddard
LA Lit Meet Organizer

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#80 Post by Adam Wright »

Per Schroeder wrote:I agree Phillip--although I invited Adam to submit whatever he wanted, just to see what kind of piece of crap (edit: fine German crap, that is) he could dig up.

That said--does anyone have an issue with us picking 6 for the final vote instead of 3?

Our internal discussions are going back and forth on condition, story and ability to finish, as we outlined in the rules--and yes, two of those things are on opposed ends of a spectrum.

Per
I really thought about submitting the Daytona car, except it's third in line for getting work done. First is the 914-6/904, then the 65 912, and only then will I get around to the A Coupe. Also, I felt the winner of this contest should be someone doing their own car and who could really use a leg up with both material and advice from Stoddard. People who have shops have resources not available to the one guy with one car, so I think they should win a great contest like this.
But the Daytona car will have it's day, luckily like Mick, time time time, is on my side, yes it is.
Attachments
ATEadam.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jon Bunin
356 Fan

#81 Post by Jon Bunin »

Adam Wright wrote:Jim Watson ran it as a 1300 during the 66-67 season. He said he brought it to Daytona, the Factory Healey Team showed up, as well as the Factory MG Team, he punted them all off the track and took the checker. I'm doing research now, so far I have 8mm film footage of it running at Courtland. I'll keep digging. Jim is better known for running his Spyder.
Adam, with all due respect, to say that your A Coupe "WON DAYTONA IN 66" is a very profound statement to make on its own.

Richard Petty won the 1966 Daytona 500 in a Plymouth.
Ken Miles and Lloyd Ruby won the 1966 24 Hours of Daytona in a 7-liter Ford GT40 Mk II.
It did not participate in either of those events...
http://www.ultimateracinghistory.com/ra ... ceid=21343
http://www.ultimateracinghistory.com/ra ... aceid=8880

There are many races held every year at Daytona, in both professional and amateur competition, and those races can have overall or class winners as well.
Do you have any more information about your car and the Daytona event it participated in, other than what you related above?
Attachments
DSCN6500.JPG
Jon Bunin

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#82 Post by Adam Wright »

The research is on-going. I am currently working with everyone from the Revs Institute to the archivist at Daytona International Speedway, everyone is combing through their stuff hoping to find a picture or a program. Next stop is the SCCA, but their archivist resigned last year so this may be a slow lead. After that I'll probably try to track down MG and Healey guys to see if they have anything.
I did track down the 8mm movie collection that I need to go through, so far I have footage of the car running at Courtland, AL. Like I said, I have time on my side, I will eventually get a picture, program, or something. As of now I have Jim Watson on tape telling me the whole story of the race and about the car, so that part is "in the can" as they say.
Luckily, I have time to slowly track down the info I need, I'm under no deadline, not trying to make Rennsport or anything like. Somebody was there, and the more I talk about it, the greater chance someone comes forward and says, "I remember that race, want to see my photos?"
Attachments
watsonmossnew.JPG
daytfilm.JPG
8mmmovies.JPG
court1.jpeg
court1.jpeg (14.34 KiB) Viewed 3092 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Fred Gruendig
356 Fan

#83 Post by Fred Gruendig »

I agree with Adam. If you can afford to send it to a shop to have all the work done for you, you don't need to save money on winning the sheet metal.
Save it for the poor guy who is doing it all himself.
The guy slugging it out in the trenches needs it more than the general sipping coffee out of his china cup.
Fred

Per Schroeder
356 Fan

#84 Post by Per Schroeder »

Ok, we have decided to change things a little bit. Instead of one poll for all the marbles, we've narrowed it down to a "Dirty Dozen" of the cars we thought were the worst with the best backstories and the most likelihood of finishing--three characteristics that don't all coincide. A Final Four matchup will then happen in two weeks….

More info to follow….
Per Schroeder
Stoddard
LA Lit Meet Organizer

Marc Jordan
356 Fan

#85 Post by Marc Jordan »

Maybe the next contest should be the most complete Porsche with the least amount of rust.

Marc Jordan
356 Fan

#86 Post by Marc Jordan »

Did "We" save them all or only one ?

Andrew Ward
356 Fan

#87 Post by Andrew Ward »

Well I imagine that someone is going to be lucky, but in some respect, I feel that the prize is just scratching the surface for some of these cars? I on the other hand do not have deep pockets, and I will be doing all the work myself, will be finished putting wrongs right in about a year, fingers crossed.
I cannot wait to just jump in and drive, patience not my friend, will keep the momentum rolling along.
Congrats to whoever wins.

Andrew

By the way, they all have rust, in fact if the wind stops blowing through the willows, you can actually hear mine rusting,-)

Walt Nolte
356 Fan

#88 Post by Walt Nolte »

I know it is past the deadline, but I am entering my retirement cake in this contest (see "Retirement Cake" post.) As can be seen in tbe picture, the car needs a complete rear end and engine after friends and family.

Walt Nolte
59 A Coupe
Attachments
20150511_160921.jpg
walt nolte