1962? T6 Complete Restoration Project

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
marcorimolo
356 Fan

1962? T6 Complete Restoration Project

#1 Post by marcorimolo »

Hello. My father and me were able to score a 356 locally for a very reasonable price and decided that we wanted to do a full resotration. Here is some of the progress we have made with a little over 2 months in!

At first we thought the car was in excellent condition. This is pretty much the only picture I found of how we bought it.
The car had already been painted and the interior had been redone (Very badly) by its old owner.
Here are the first pictures of the car at the shop gettting bodywork and getting ready for paint.
We found out that the body was in fact a mess of bondo, especially the side rails under the car were over the years stripped with loads of bondo. Here you can see just how much they added
Here it is after careful carft work, we sent these to be made at a special shop to match the originals and turned out quite nice

Truth be told at this point we weren't going to be doing a full restoration of the chassis until I started reading around the registry and this is when the nightmare started. When we stripped down the interior we found they had used contact cement and then we were greated by the nightmate that is the undercoating in several parts of the car.

Right now we are almost done stripping it down...

I bought the membership again to ask the experts for any comments and concerns. We kind of went in reverse dealing with the exterior before we did the interior but as soon as we noticed how bad it was we decided we had to restore it. Right now I am having an extremly difficult time removing the black tar mess that is all around the car. I have spent alot on many different tools and nothing seems to be working. We were told to use remover but I also read that can damage the chasis and cause corrosion. Any input would be great, I love this car and I want it to be as spectacular as alot of projects I see on here.

Rest of the album for those intrested http://imgur.com/a/iVOX3

Cheers, Leo and Marco

ryan base
356 Fan

Re: 1962? T6 Complete Restoration Project

#2 Post by ryan base »

yes marco beautiful project, it looks so complete. transforming the 50 years of use and dirt is the trick. paint thinner, paint remover, wire brush, scraper, heating crud with torch, patience but it seems a rotissorie and careful blasting gives the best results. be with the car and give it your attention . thank you for sharing your car

marcorimolo
356 Fan

Re: 1962? T6 Complete Restoration Project

#3 Post by marcorimolo »

ryan base wrote:yes marco beautiful project, it looks so complete. transforming the 50 years of use and dirt is the trick. paint thinner, paint remover, wire brush, scraper, heating crud with torch, patience but it seems a rotissorie and careful blasting gives the best results. be with the car and give it your attention . thank you for sharing your car
No danger in using paint thinner/remover? I was under the impression it could corrode the car. I go everyday and even work in the shop as much as I can do, right now we are an absolute standstill thinking of how we are going to attack the undercoating/protective part.

Leo