Run engine out of car. Electrical help

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
travisthompson
356 Fan

Run engine out of car. Electrical help

#1 Post by travisthompson »

I have a 6 volt 356 1600 engine and I would like to run it when it is out of the car on the ground. A few questions:

- Do I need a 6 volt battery cable and where to find one? I have done a few online searches and cannot locate one besides a 15 footer from a 356 parts source.

- Can someone set me straight on how hook up the wires and cables: battery> starter> coil? I do have a few diagrams from this site but could use written instruction.

After experimenting, this is how I hooked it up but am unsure about it:

- neg grounded to block

- positive battery cable to post on left on starter

- push button starter from batt positive post clipped to top flat quick release tab. (When I push the button the starter gear moves to engage the flywheel.)

- jumper cable from batt positive post to right side post on starter. ( when these cables make contact- the starter gear, already engaged from me pushing and holding my starter button- will turn thus cranking the engine.

- bottom flat tab on starter has 14 gauge wire going to coil #15 terminal.

This is my first time attempting this and am trying to learn. I have done other things to the engine up to this point like valve adj, etc. Any direction or criticism will be well received.
'62 S90 coupe, black
'87 911 coupe, guards red

E Rutherford
356 Fan

Re: Run engine out of car. Electrical help

#2 Post by E Rutherford »

For the starter circuit go here:
http://www.cyberwerkstatt.com/Members_O ... tarter.htm
For your ignition circuit go here:
http://www.cyberwerkstatt.com/Members_O ... nition.htm

and so on

ed
klasse356.com

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#3 Post by Vic Skirmants »

I use standard jumper cables for the main wire to the starter, and a standard small wire to the coil. I also use a screwdriver to zap the hot wire to the starter solenoid. Simple.

travisthompson
356 Fan

#4 Post by travisthompson »

Thanks for the responses. The diagrams from that site will be useful. I tried Vic's way to start the engine and it was simple, no fuss. The engine cranks over very slow however, about 1 rev every second. I am going to check some of the other posts on here and see what other people did about this. The battery was fully charged so guess I can rule that out.
'62 S90 coupe, black
'87 911 coupe, guards red