Update on seized engine

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Alec Medina
356 Fan

Update on seized engine

#1 Post by Alec Medina »

Well it's been a long time since I posted and a long time since I worked on the porsche. However, this might have been a blessing in disguise. My last post asked for help on a seized engine and boy did I receive a ton of advice. However, due to time constraints I decided to give one persons a try. Keith brooks recommended to me a concoction of acetone and marvels mystery oil. While I've heard of using mystery oil, diesel, or kerosene before. I have never heard of using acetone. Well today I picked up the wrench and I am so happy to report that I have 360 degrees of rotation. The engine is free!!

Additionally, I bought some headlights. They are reproduction but I got both complete sets with the glass, chrome and housing for 75 bucks. I had one of the originals but I didn't have enough parts for the passenger side.
Attachments
20210417_154215.jpg
20210417_154215.jpg (2.71 MiB) Viewed 1391 times
20210417_132240.jpg
20210417_132240.jpg (2.34 MiB) Viewed 1391 times

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Update on seized engine

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Congrats on the progress, Alec! Keep us posted.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Alec Medina
356 Fan

#3 Post by Alec Medina »

Mike,

Thank you and I will continue to update as I make more progress or go in reverse. Either is still possible at this point haha.

Jeff Graham
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jeff Graham »

That's a great milestone, Alec. How long did you let it soak and how many application of this special sauce did it take?

Ralph Aceti
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ralph Aceti »

Hi Alec: I have had a similar issue with my 64. Drove it until 78 and kept it garaged (but not well pickled). Can't rotate even with long cheater wrench/pipe. Tried Kroil oil, everything else. What was the mix ratio on marvel and acetone?
Thanks in advance.

Alec Medina
356 Fan

#6 Post by Alec Medina »

Ralph A. Aceti wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:20 am Hi Alec: I have had a similar issue with my 64. Drove it until 78 and kept it garaged (but not well pickled). Can't rotate even with long cheater wrench/pipe. Tried Kroil oil, everything else. What was the mix ratio on marvel and acetone?
Thanks in advance.
It was a 50/50 mix. Keith also told me that ATF would work as well but I had marvels mystery oil on hand. I do recommend jacking the car up to one side and letting it sit for a few days since the engine is flat. I did this on both sides but note that the exhaust will get oil in from the exhaust ports that are open. For me it didn't matter cause I have two big holes in my exhaust system but if you care about yours it might be worth taking it off.

Alec Medina
356 Fan

#7 Post by Alec Medina »

Jeff Graham wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:34 pm That's a great milestone, Alec. How long did you let it soak and how many application of this special sauce did it take?
I applied the sauce twice. The first time I let it sit for 7 days and had no luck. The second time I completely drained all the oil out and then refilled everything.Then I let it sit for two months. Letting it sit that long was not my original intent but I was busy.