last 500 here's my c

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
ryan base
356 Fan

Re: last 500 here's my c

#31 Post by ryan base »

had a day to roll car out of garage took out passenger seat to try and repair the adjuster and discovered how it works so it was ok now back in wipers were next so i got head under dash and found how to remove wiper assembly now to find 12v moter

neil blaber
356 Fan

#32 Post by neil blaber »

you must be happy to get the major welding done ryan!
instagram - neilblaber

ryan base
356 Fan

#33 Post by ryan base »

neil i am happy i was able to free the schedule to put two and a half months of solid half days into the undercarrage with the means to make the improvements i need to follow up with a second pass of tig beads over the mig butt welds to upgrade my satisfaction but i'm confident that i can reach that combination of time and materials later this year yes happy thanks

ryan base
356 Fan

#34 Post by ryan base »

went with a porsche buddy to the phoenix club show wow saw so many nice porsches found a part for my car and then shook hands with gordon m. at the registry table he's a hero a very nice place

ryan base
356 Fan

#35 Post by ryan base »

my poor car suffers so many indignities, at best it will be a jalopy. rusty's work was a great inspiration and he got it done. neils been a great modal, so far gone and now brought back straight and true. the spoodster was a determined effort by adam. now stodards contest wcbtb what a great idea. all these guys bringing them back. i wonder how they pick the winner does the car have to be finished? just being worked on ? the most pitiful pile? my car was the best i could buy at the time. a roller with two or three boxes with probably 95% of the parts. but i've forgotten things i've fixed. it has changed me as a person my friends, my family, my wife don't see it as a real thing and i look at it like some default behavior where i go sit by this thing and look at these deformities and think how am i going to fix this? its a task oriented puzzle that is really more than one individual is capable of completing in one lifetime now the second decade it is so close to back on the road as a rat rod thing beautiful yet haggard begging to be taken apart again given clean youth. its like a commitment to madness

ryan base
356 Fan

#36 Post by ryan base »

trouble with phone and computer complex so no pictures, car is back on the rack, tin shade cover is working nicely spent time on throttle linkage and now that works pretty good. currently slicing battery box wires so some progress

ryan base
356 Fan

#37 Post by ryan base »

fresh battery's in, starter turns over, green light is on , fresh gas leaks from new petcock and little tin cup area so this may not be so easy

neil blaber
356 Fan

#38 Post by neil blaber »

hope you get the camera and pc sorted, we all love pictures ryan. it maybe a jalopy as you call it when done but its another 356 on the road and that's no bad thing!

keep on pushing :)
instagram - neilblaber

ryan base
356 Fan

#39 Post by ryan base »

waiting for new petcock, keith sent me some other goodies too . yesterday i cut out anchor bracket on rear bumper tip which straightened out with persuasive hammer treatment then brazed back in. today we will see if bumper wants to fit. thanks neil i'm interested in how you want to restyle your front end profile i know we'll have to wait and see but the hint has me teased

ryan base
356 Fan

#40 Post by ryan base »

worked on the fuel line situation keith sent a new petcock thank you struggled with tank but it finally went in blew out the hard fuel line in the tunnel that's better fuel to the carbs good fiddled with passenger door and the fender opening and it now will open and close but po worked on rocker and it is obviously needs to be cut out and realigned rear bumper went on got a new phone found a new angle for pic gone for next week to work on beach house it's desinigrating too
Attachments
0612151757.jpg

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#41 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Ryan,

It must be great to be able to work on the car outside and year round!

Note: Do not move to Michigan unless you have a nice indoor shop or only want to work on your car 8 months a year :wink:
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

ryan base
356 Fan

#42 Post by ryan base »

hi sebastian it's a little different here in the desert. we have three months where it never gets under a hundred so you need the shelter from the sun. the cement soaks up the heat. winters are nice but more windy. snowbird resort town. i'm sure michigan has it's certain good aspects but that heated garage is probably essential for winters. thank you for your comment

ryan base
356 Fan

#43 Post by ryan base »

way back in time somebody replaced right side rocker longitudinal but it just didn't match the door. it seems they ran it anyway because the area under the hinges was rusted away. i added a patch piece to match front fender a few years back but last week cut below b pillar and added patch to better align with door bottom. i was happy how that worked out. now i have a pretty good gap. i had to break out torch to lossen passenger door striker screws. had to have big phillips screwdriver. that ruined backing plate but i had new one. remounted new striker, shim, backplate with new screws. it works nicely now. thanks to nla for many new parts

ryan base
356 Fan

#44 Post by ryan base »

so the fuel situation required some head scratching to get through. started at the petcock and worked back. blew out the lines again and checked hose clamps. put an electric fuel pump under rear jump seat. still no start. yesterday took carbs out, tore them down, soaked in chem drip, blew them out, put them back together, bolted them backs to the manifolds and it started. sweet blessings of life. that means i've turned a corner. the car still needs lots of work but i won't have to push it. today i hope to drive it off the rack and get it back in the garage.

ryan base
356 Fan

#45 Post by ryan base »

today i am a different person than yesterday. today my basket case collection will start and drive. i sat in it, started the bug motor, put it in gear, drove it off the rack, out into the ally, passed my neighbor's house, into the street , up my driveway and into the garage. i think back to all those nights i drifted off to sleep thinking about the car. now the car has the validity of being more than a roller. it still has unfulfilled potential for improvement (shabby, dirty, rusty, beat up) but it now seems that it clings to a higher station of existence. i look forward to see how it will be with another three months of attention.