Pictures from East Coast Holiday 2008 in Lancaster, PA

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Bob Frederking
356 Fan

Pictures from East Coast Holiday 2008 in Lancaster, PA

#1 Post by Bob Frederking »

Greetings,

I've put some pictures from the ECH last weekend on our SmugMug page. You'll find it at:

http://www.violaann.smugmug.com/gallery/5921085_hUHJe

I didn't have full information about some of the cars lined up at the Concours in the rain (because of the rain); so feel free to enlighten me and I'll add to the captions.

Ann

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#2 Post by Phil Planck »

In the background of your first picture is me just starting to work on our 55 coupe(53248). I am begining to jack up the drivers side to remove the rear wheel. Turns out that I did not sufficiently torque the axle nuts after recently installing new seals, and the brake drum came loose on the drivers side. After this picture was taken, Bruce Baker loaned me a floor jack and jack stands to properly fix the problem. Fortunately, Ab Tiddeman(sp?) had one of his 356 modified Torquemiesters on hand and that worked great to tighten up the axle nuts. Walt Grubbe loaned me a great little 3/8 drive torque wrench set at 50 ft-lb, which gave 450 ft-lbs. at the nut. I was very fortunate that no or very little damage was done to the splines.

We drove 1820 miles to and from the Holiday.

Great story about your car. And, a great set of pictures.
Phil Planck

Bob Frederking
356 Fan

#3 Post by Bob Frederking »

Nice to meet you Phil. And glad you were able to make the repair with little damage. Great group of people at these meetings - very generous with their assistance and knowledge.

Your trip certainly trumped ours - Google Maps makes the route we took 458 miles one way or just about half the distance you drove. Plenty long though given that we haven't used the car much in the last decade because it needed the new top.

Ann