Where to begin! Restoring a 1964 356C coupe

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Stephen Stalter
356 Fan

Where to begin! Restoring a 1964 356C coupe

#1 Post by Stephen Stalter »

Hi All,

I just joined this registry, as I have a 1964 356C coupe that is in quite frankly terrible shape (heavily damaged body panels, LOTS of rust -- it was left to languish for YEARS (decades?) out in the weather in the rainy Pacific Northwest!), but is otherwise more or less intact in terms of missing parts, etc. Engine hasn't moved in decades, but is all there.

I want to get started on restoring this thing, but really don't know where to begin, as it will surely soak up a LOT of money. Having said that, I am not a rich man and do not have $50K to dump into a car restoration. Of course, I am prepared to put money into this thing to fix it right, but need to find some balance between bankruptcy and restoring it nicely (if not to museum quality).

When finished, I want this to be a good-looking, solid car that I can drive and enjoy, not a closet queen!

Any suggestions are welcome, as I am new to this whole restoration business and could really use some guidance on where to begin.

To be clear, I don't even know enough about this stuff to know what questions to ask, so any comments are welcome.

Thanks!

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Where to begin! Restoring a 1964 356C coupe

#2 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Welcome aboard, Stephen.
I am sure you will get many suggestions. Ponder them all, and make a choice based on what fits your needs.
Cheers.

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#3 Post by Phil Planck »

Steven
Welcome to the Registry. Most of your questions will probably already have been asked on this forum, so spend some time looking at old posts in the "Projects" sub-forum. There are several good books focused on 356 restoration which should be very helpful. There is a search function which you can use to look for specific info(learning how to best do this is a trial and error, at least for me).
Phil Planck

Roy Smalley
356 Fan

#4 Post by Roy Smalley »

Since you have defined what you want and before you turn that first wrench, examine the car well and categorize expenses you will encounter and research what each might generally cost. And the time to get it done to meet your goal of completion. Say, body work (metal); mechanical; parts; interior; paint; assembly. Labor costs can be reduced if you do the work but there will still be expense involved with labor. Use a vendors catalog to determine what you think you will need in the way of parts, likewise several interior suppliers have pricing on their web sites. Consider what the minimum will be for rebuilding an engine/transmission with assumptions about existing condition. If you don't plan on doing the metal work, there is expense you can save by disassembly and stripping the car yourself, then get an idea from someone that can do the work. Same for paint.

But once the car is disassembled and stripped, you are committed to what comes.

Restoring a car is a major undertaking but. It is fun. So research so you know if your expectations can be met beforehand.

And as a general rule, buy the best car you can that fits your total budget. Restoration is always more regardless if owner performed or by others.

Good luck.
 Roy Smalley
Texas

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dan Kalinski »

pm sent.

DJ

Roger Shapiro
356 Fan
Tag: Still searching for the Holy Grill

#6 Post by Roger Shapiro »

Stephan,
Hello and welcome.
Best advice I can give you - STOP, DO NOT PROCEED!
Even the most experienced of us make mistakes. As someone new to the process, you can expect to make even more and more expensive mistakes.
Here is why it is always LESS EXPENSIVE to buy the best car you can afford.

Professional Restoration shops charge lots of money for what they do. And unless this car has significant sentimental value, you are going to end up way behind the value/dollar curve.

If you are thinking of a DIY project, DON'T! Prices of parts and services are rising faster than you could estimate. Unless you are a retired owner/operator of a body shop (with all the tool, experience, knowledge, energy, and time,) you are once again going to be behind the curve.

So, what to do. Keep an active watch. Let everyone know that you are looking for a car. Look for words like "older restoration". Be patient! When the right car comes along, don't be afraid to pull the trigger right then and there.

Good luck, stay in the hunt, and good things will come your way.
Roger Shapiro

Gary Carriveau
356 Fan

#7 Post by Gary Carriveau »

I have to agree with Roger. But... some background information may help in my argument.
In over 60 years of my love affair with cars I have owned many from a wide range of interests: classic American cars, European cars, hot rods, race cars, etc. My experience goes from buying sad "fixer upers", to those that were fully restored, building a race car from the frame up, and so on.
At my age my love affair has not diminished. However, I have shifted from getting excited about a car needing work (sometime a great deal of work) to concentrating on cars that were fully restored by others. This has included a mid'60s iconic British roadster and my current mid'60s Porsche coupe.
To make a long story shorter, in the past I have enjoyed doing much of the work myself and derived a great deal of satisfaction from it; now I find more pleasure driving a fully restored classic without the effort (and money) that must have gone into the restoration. Do I miss the restoration work? Yes, but my arthritic hands do not.
Take your time, look carefully, study the market, become very knowledgeable about "value", and proceed with caution. I firmly agree that most quality restorations cost more than the value of the car once they are completed.
Good luck in your search.

Gary
'64 C Coupe
Gary W. Carriveau
'64 C Coupe

neil blaber
356 Fan

#8 Post by neil blaber »

i will say if this is the best example you can afford then proceed. if the engine and gearbox works leave them alone, if you can weld even better! look around for a shop to do work you can't do or someone reliable (or close to you, you can trust) that would take it on out of working hours. I'm sure in this economic climate those guys should be plentiful.

in reality these cars are not complicated they are very basic!

you could do a course learning to weld, a friend of mine back in the uk is a gas fitter (plumber) did a welding course and now restores cars for a hobby and uses them.

you don't need expensive machines to restore bodywork! have a look around at the restorations being done and have been completed on the registry.

ask plenty of questions

welcome to the forum!
instagram - neilblaber

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#9 Post by Jim Liberty »

First WELCOME !!! I will have to agree with Roger on this one. I have a full on (Retirement) restoration shop, and have been with these cars since the 50s. If you are just doing this for fun, have lots of room, time, money, and a very understanding wife, then maybe OK.

Our combined expertise here cover everything from body repair to through mechanical, including engine rebuild through wiring harness. We have our own machine shop as well. It still takes me 9 - 12 months working full time to finish a good car.

Please do not be discouraged by my comments, I just want you to have your eyes open. ..............Jim.
Jim Liberty

Harold Singh
356 Fan
Tag: Cooling with air

#10 Post by Harold Singh »

Stephen, Firstly, good luck! Post your location and maybe you'll be near one of the experts like Jim. Then someone can give you more info about your project needs. Even if you're near me I can say their are several good members nearby. I'd be glad to show you my car as a reference since it was mostly original from being stored from 1976 until 2012.
Harold
In the garage:
1964 356C Irish Green
1995 993 GP White

ryan base
356 Fan

#11 Post by ryan base »

hello stephan nice to have you with us so you got a 64 i have a 65 it was a roller i've been working on mine ten years time becomes a strange thing when talking about this kind of project the registry is a good place and the folks that frequent here are a great bunch you will find others that bring back old heaps you have to be patient but always pushing why did you buy it ? to have a long term project? take lots of pics make lots of posts try to keep your car and parts together and protect them there is always the possibility you pass the car along tell us more

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#12 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Welcome!

Post as many detailed photos as you can that show the condition of the body, especially the lower parts, floor (from top and bottom) inside wheel wells, inside trunk under battery, etc., so we can see what you consider "heavily damaged body panels, LOTS of rust". Sounds like bodywork will be your biggest obstacle in both time and expense (although most novices are surprised at the cost of an engine rebuild for these--not cheap and not an easy job for a novice to do themselves).

I think your best bet is to find someone local that knows these cars well and have them look it over for you. I have to admit, from your description of the car and what sounds like your lack of bodywork experience, this particular car sounds like it's well beyond what you may be willing to spend even if you're not looking for show car quality.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Miguel Antonetti
356 Fan

#13 Post by Miguel Antonetti »

What about some pictures of the car as is...?

JohnPierce
356 Fan

#14 Post by JohnPierce »

Welcome!

This is a great site with very helpful people. The search button allows you to finds years and years worth of information.

Be sure to buy Ron Roland's and Jim Kellogg's restoration books. And read....read.....read before digging into the car.

Another forum with lots of good rebuild pictures and advice is the ABCGT.com forum.

Good luck. We'd love to see some pictures.

John
1963 B T6 Project