My first Porsche 356 project. Am I nuts or what?

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Dan Epperly
356 Fan

Re: My first Porsche 356 project. Am I nuts or what?

#46 Post by Dan Epperly »

...and today's progress...

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#47 Post by Dan Epperly »

I sat on this project since spring. Other than building the engine I didn't do squat on it hoping to find a decent body and paint guy to finish it off for what I was willing to pay. I have nothing but respect for good body and paint guys, but past experience has shown that many are just not detail orientated enough unless you pay more than what the car is ultimately going to be worth. Plus, I am all about the journey. I already did the metal work, then did the body work, so what the hay, why not shoot that paint?
I've done a few other cars, VWs bugs and Karmann Ghias with differing results, but I've taken my time, did my research and feel pretty confident that I can do as well as the guys I have used to date. Worse comes to worse, I am out $300 in paint.
When I last posted I had sprayed the car with several coats of Poly primer. I blocked it at 150 and then 325 dry. Still didn't get everything out, but learned that my problem Was I was forcing the block instead of letting it glide to take out the low spots.
So after blocking properly I was happy with the results and today sprayed it with Urethane primer to seal it and to do a final sanding at first 150 and then 325 wet. I chose Restpration Shop single stage for the paint which I will shoot before I go back to work after the holidays.

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan
Tag: '63 S/R project, '80 911SC, '11 Cayenne

#48 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

Sooooooo, Dan, beginning to feel like you're in the home stretch? Well, you ain't seen nothing yet. I'm just now approaching where you're at and I know it'll be a push to make it back on the road. At your rate of progress, no chance I'll catch up with ya. Looking good Dan, congrats on your progress.

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#49 Post by Dan Epperly »

Thanks Glen.
At this point I just want to get color on it before I go back to work, hoping the weather cooperates. I already have the engine built for it, the gear box should be good, the brakes are mostly done, it's going to be all mterior and trim once the color has hardened and I've cut and buffed it. Yeah, that's all...

Here's the original engine for it, a normal that I built to super specs on the zeniths, had everything balanced and used the big bore kit from AA. It currently resides in my beater B coupe who's engine was worn out and needs refreshed. On the meantime this was taking up space in the garage so my son and I plugged it into the beater to break it and uncover any leaks or issues.

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#50 Post by Dan Epperly »

So I painted it today, had to do something to burn off the Christmas calories.
I had already primed in in urethane primer but after sanding it at 150 dry and then 320 wet I burned through the primer to the metal in a few spots and down to the poly primer in others. I also was a bit worries about the 320 final for a mechanical bond for the top coat. It was the paint producers spec, but still...to play it safe this morning I mixed up the urethane 2k as a sealer and shot one wet coat.

It laid down nice and filled in th 320 scratches. I read that painting wet on wet, that is pain on the sealer when still in the recoat stage creates a better bond chemically than a mechanical bond. We will see.

Anyway, I finally shot the single stage TCP Restoration Shop AU Ruby Red. Had some issues with my compressed keeping up, the paint needing reducer to really flow, and the usual dust nibs, a few runs, etc but three medium to medium thick coats later I'm happy with the results and really happy with my body work.

Now I have to paint the doors,hood,decklid and then color sand, buff and polish everything...ugh.

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan

#51 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

Just my first take on your progress, wishing I were as far along. But wishing never makes it so. One very minor observation, why did you leave the fresh air horns in place for the final painting? Also, I see the wiring is all in a box somewhere. When you begin the process of pulling the wire loom into place, please take it slow and bring everyone along through the process with plenty of hints as to your lessons learned. Still dreaming of getting the loom right first time through. What now seems like a future royal pain in the arss, oh how I look forward to being on the other side of that exercise in patience and frayed persistence. Merry Christmas Dan, congratulations on pulling the trigger. Another inspiration to us all who intend in following in your footsteps.

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#52 Post by Dan Epperly »

Hi Glen,
You mean those black things in the corners of the trunk I didn't notice they were removable? Guess i Better look more closely.
I actually had a lot of fun finishing it up. I had the week off so I just went into the garage, played some good music and focused on the task at hand, a great stress reliever if you can just surrender the outcome to your best efforts and not worry about perfection. Heck, even most of the pros seldom reach that level.
I will continue to post updates hoping others can at least learn by mistakes if nothing else.

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#53 Post by Spencer Harris »

Looks great Dan. Congrats on your progress!
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#54 Post by Dan Epperly »

Spencer Harris wrote:Looks great Dan. Congrats on your progress!
Thanks Spencer, been following your builds as well, the cars are looking beautiful.

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan

#55 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

As always, everything is removable, even the hinge wire holding the glove box door in place. Everyone with a project appreciates posts from those making progress. Its only a matter of how much refitment one wants to invest in before putting it all back into its original resting place. Now that the project is in primer, I'm thinking I should refit it all before taking it all down again for the final painting.

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#56 Post by Jim Nelson »

Great job, metalwork scares the hell out of me, and paint? Yikes. I admire your versatility.

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#57 Post by Dan Epperly »

Painted the doors and hood New Years Eve. Still need to do some sanding on the deck lid and then strip and prep the bumpers and will then be done shooting paint. I had some waste, maybe two quarts of mixed material, so will likely end up using a full gallon of color not including the hardener and reducer and that is spraying one medium coat and two heavy. Just for future reference.

ryan base
356 Fan

#58 Post by ryan base »

its going to be a knockout, really nice dan

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#59 Post by Dan Epperly »

Been color sanding near every night after work amd on weekends, starting with 1000, then 1500, then 2000, the polishing with heavy grit, medium grit And then fine polishing have the body done and one door to date.

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan

#60 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

What I want to know Dan is, what are you using for elbow grease?