List of fuses

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Dennis ODonnell
356 Fan

Re: List of fuses

#16 Post by Dennis ODonnell »

Hi, Cliff.

The low # is the current rating at which the fuse will begin to melt, (you're right, regardless of voltage). The /# is the interrupting rating at which the entire fuse may fail, not just the fusible element. At higher amperage than that it's useless: The ceramic body could overheat causing other damage, wire vaporization could create conductive plasma briefly, a glass tube fuse could explode. That's what I remember, correct me if I'm wrong.

Per your other question, ceramic auto fuses are "fast blow."

Cliff Hanson
356 Fan

#17 Post by Cliff Hanson »

Hi Dennis, that's pretty much what I suspected. Hopefully the metal fuse element would fail pretty quickly and interrupt the current flow and the heat. I suspect that it would take a dead short to ground to even get close to so-called meltdown.
Cliff Hanson
1964 356SC

Bruce Hagopian
356 Fan

#18 Post by Bruce Hagopian »

The last sentence in the paragraph below the photo on page 94 in the manual states "The 8/15 or 25/40 ratings of the fuses indicate the continuous maximum capacity and the short pulse overload capacity respectively."

There is a note on the bottom of the wiring diagram that states "For 12 Volt system all fuses are 8/15."
Bruce Hagopian

Cliff Hanson
356 Fan

#19 Post by Cliff Hanson »

Bruce Hagopian wrote:The last sentence in the paragraph below the photo on page 94 in the manual states "The 8/15 or 25/40 ratings of the fuses indicate the continuous maximum capacity and the short pulse overload capacity respectively."

There is a note on the bottom of the wiring diagram that states "For 12 Volt system all fuses are 8/15."
Thanks Bruce, I didn't see the p. 94 comment, I guess I have beaten this horse to death!
Cliff Hanson
1964 356SC

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#20 Post by Eric McKinley »

I recently inquired about the fuses that I will require for my 356C 12 volt from one of the well known vendors.

From reading the above information I believe that the information I was given regarding the type of fuse I require is correct.

However i would just like to confirm this to be sure I have everything as it should be.

I have the grey headlight relay and the black horn relay, this is it.

Am I correct in saying that I could use these red 16 amp fuses for 1 -12 positions on the fuse board as instructed by the vendor.

Or should I be possibly be using the white 8 amp fuses for the 1 - 12 positions as mentioned in earlier posts.

My lack of knowledge on this subject is apparent as I am a novice when it comes to the electric side of things.

I have ordered the Leoni manuals which I know will help to address this.

Many Thanks.
Attachments
8 Amp Fuse.PNG
8 Amp Fuse.PNG (10.58 KiB) Viewed 3491 times
16 Amp Fuse.PNG
16 Amp Fuse.PNG (10.92 KiB) Viewed 3491 times

Timothy Vick
356 Fan

#21 Post by Timothy Vick »

I have a 12 volt system and I'm using 8 amp in all locations. I also have read the many posts with many recommendations. My theory is the fuse will protect the car and I have original wiring so go small to start. I will to continue to use the lower ratings until I have to increase due to component loads. I also have made a few upgrades like LEDs all around that have reduced the load.

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#22 Post by Eric McKinley »

Timothy,

Thank you for the reply.
I will go with the white 8 amp fuses across the board.
Would it be possible to post a few up close pictures of your fuse board, it will be very helpful during the wiring stage of my car.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#23 Post by Doug McDonnell »

1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#24 Post by Eric McKinley »

Thanks Doug,

They are very helpful indeed.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#25 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I wired the fuse box AFTER installing all the wiring. You might want to consider wiring the box on the bench or at your kitchen table-then installing it. If I were to do it again that is the way I would do it on a C. Save your back. The 3 piece harness in the C makes this possible. If you look closely at the wiring on the bottom of the fuse box all the wires curve neatly towards passengers side. Mine don't as wiring was installed first. I think you could get them to all curve neatly if wired on the bench then installed.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#26 Post by Eric McKinley »

Doug,

I'm afraid that boat has sailed.
I have pulled the wires through the headlight bucket tubes, this is a job I would not want to attempt again,

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#27 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Live and learn:>) You will have Sooo much fun leaning over wiring!!!