2008 Monterey Historics, Pebble Beach Tour & Concours Po

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Charles Rollins
356 Fan

2008 Monterey Historics, Pebble Beach Tour & Concours Po

#1 Post by Charles Rollins »

Here is a link to our Monterey Pictures (we are downloading every night). Pictures from the "Airport Party", Thursday AM "the Tour", and of course the Historic races. This morning, Thursday, both Herb Wisard's Glocker and Porsche Number 1 were present and we took photos. There was quite a buzz around #1 with lots of picture taking and interviews with Klaus Bishoff (sic). The old girl had a dead battery but started right up with a human powered push start (sounds like a VW, huh, wonder why?). Awesome that the factory agreed to having the car driven on the Pebble Beach Tour for lots of people to see. There is a huge Porsche display at Pebble. A tent that is more like an enclosed showroom complete with 4X8 plexiglass windows. We are Porsche centric so lots of photos of any Porsche including the new RS Spyder, a road legal GT1, RSR, RS, etc. ENJOY! We are.
http://www.bench-racing.com/html/news.html
Charles Rollins
1962 356 S90 Coupe
1970 911T
1964 Safari Rally Mercury Comet

Christian Guthrie
356 Fan
Tag: How many is enough?

#2 Post by Christian Guthrie »

Great pictures Charles! I especially liked the picture of the Reventlow Transporter in the Pebble Beach Gallery. Complete with 2 F-1 Cars and a scarab. It doesn't get any better than that.

Charles Rollins
356 Fan

#3 Post by Charles Rollins »

FYI the Reventlow Transporter is the real deal. Found in AZ and restored by a Bay Area Scarab afficianado. The restoration was completed on Friday night at midnight and it rolled into the Historic Racing pits around noon on Saturday. Took over 12 gallons of paint and it is restored to the highest level (info from the gentleman driving the transporter).
Charles Rollins
1962 356 S90 Coupe
1970 911T

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#4 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Charles

Did your Comet used to belong to John Kirby-Miller?

Regards

Jim
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Charles Rollins
356 Fan

#5 Post by Charles Rollins »

Hey Jim,
No, John Kirby Miller still owns his original Comet # 81. My father in law raced # 73 FIA Comet in the original 1964 East Africa Safari and even though several of the cars were brought back from Africa, only a couple have survived. Since neither was available for purchase I replicated my father in laws car. JKM was helpful with actual details that remain on his car and our family collection of photos and the two Hot Rod Magazine articles provided the balance of technical information. We have driven the car once to Monterey where it was part of "The Quail" event, a couple of NFIBMT's, a couple Carrera California events, and the local 356 Club was nice enough to allow us to do a shake down run with them on a "St. Patrick's Day Tour". This car will never see a trailer, it is a blast to drive and performs great.
Charles Rollins
1962 356 S90 Coupe
1970 911T

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#6 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Charles Rollins wrote:Hey Jim,
No, John Kirby Miller still owns his original Comet # 81. My father in law raced # 73 FIA Comet in the original 1964 East Africa Safari and even though several of the cars were brought back from Africa, only a couple have survived. Since neither was available for purchase I replicated my father in laws car. JKM was helpful with actual details that remain on his car and our family collection of photos and the two Hot Rod Magazine articles provided the balance of technical information. We have driven the car once to Monterey where it was part of "The Quail" event, a couple of NFIBMT's, a couple Carrera California events, and the local 356 Club was nice enough to allow us to do a shake down run with them on a "St. Patrick's Day Tour". This car will never see a trailer, it is a blast to drive and performs great.
Charles

Thanks for the bit of history. My son owns a 64 Comet Caliente Convt and John Kirby-Miller and I go way back. My son's Comet is currently undergoing a motor transplant, actually it has been apart for longer than it should have taken. More talk of 64 Comets will inspire both of us to get the car back on the road. Again, thanks for answering my question.

Regards
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410