speaker connections to a Blaupunkt radio

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
DAVID GRIFFIN
356 Fan

speaker connections to a Blaupunkt radio

#1 Post by DAVID GRIFFIN »

speaker sockets 002.JPG
I am now onto a different subject an hope I am not exceeding my time on 356 PROJECTS
I am now in the process of getting the car radio in my 356C to work. I have found Charlie,s excellent web page on Blaupunkt radios for Porsche 356,s to be excellent . I have identified my radio as being a 1966/7 KOLN with an "X"as part of the serial number and has 4 wave bands and 5 push buttons
If you look at the attached photo I have only 3 speaker sockets instead of the two pairs shown in Charlies example. I assume the THIRD one is ground and common to the two speakers . Is this correct?
Best wishes for Christmas

David
speaker sockets 002.JPG

Russ Collins
356 Fan

Re: speaker connections to a Blaupunkt radio

#2 Post by Russ Collins »

David,
You're right, one of the sockets is ground. The other two sockets are taps on the radio's output transformer depending on whether one speaker or two speakers are used. In other words, wire your two speakers in parallel external to the radio and plug one wire into the ground socket and the other wire into the socket marked with two speakers.
Russ

DAVID GRIFFIN
356 Fan

#3 Post by DAVID GRIFFIN »

Thanks Russ What you said is what I had hoped . when I inspected the area more closely I can see the marks on the chassis. I now understand it
Best Christmas wishes David

PS The radio doesnt work so I will send it for repair

Max Handley
356 Fan

#4 Post by Max Handley »

David

Check to see if the push in cards are selected for 6v operation if thats what your using. They can be set for 6 or 12v. I believe they are located on the top back side of the power unit, same unit where your speaker outlets are.
 Contact email Spyderwerks@comcast.net

DAVID GRIFFIN
356 Fan

#5 Post by DAVID GRIFFIN »

Thanks Max Yes I did notice the 6v/12v adjustment and it is set on 12 volts which is correct for my car. Whilst replying and before I send it off for repair , I just need to check that I am not doing anything stupid.

1 The dial light comes on when I switch on
2 the mechanicals all seem to work
3 A slight pop occurs from the speaker when I switch on as it should
4 no reaction occurs with adjustment to tuning , volume adjustment or depressing the band buttons in fact it is dead other than a very low level hiss from the speaker

Question On the Blaupunkt Koln , I have connected it up correctly on my bench to give the above condition, Should I make a further connection somewhere. Please look at the attached photo . What are these multi connections for and the plastic cap

Unfortunately I dont have an instruction sheet

with best rgds David
Attachments
koln 2 001.JPG

Charlie White
356 Fan

#6 Post by Charlie White »

David,

Here are some pics which will help with hooking up your speakers. The later Blaupunkts had three holes for hooking up speakers. From the markings in the picture, you can see how one or two speakers are to be hooked up. In the second picture, you can see the plug setup used for two speakers. Other Blaupunkts have some variations of this "speaker hole" arrangement.

CW
Attachments
twoplug2speakers.jpg
BlauNYX07a.jpg
Last edited by Charlie White on Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie White

Charlie White
356 Fan

#7 Post by Charlie White »

Re: multi-connections. one is an audio imput for a tape recorder or record player, a feature on most Blauipunkts of this era. The other may be, but I'm not sure, an audio output for an amplifier. I've used this audio imput for the tape recorder/record player to play tunes from my Ipod. See:

http://derwhites356literature.com/New35 ... punkt.html

CW
Attachments
Cd BlauT3b.jpg
Charlie White

DAVID GRIFFIN
356 Fan

#8 Post by DAVID GRIFFIN »

Thanks Charlie I suppose it is obvious .but the three speakers Threw me . Anyway all is clear now.
Could you please look at my last Post and let me know if your excellent website covers the function of these two multipin sockets. I am trying to find out if I should do something with them to get a simple radio function before I send to the radio repairers

with best regds david

Charlie White
356 Fan

#9 Post by Charlie White »

You don't need to do anything with the two "sockets" on the back of the radio to operate the radio. One is for imput from an external tape player or record player, common to Blaupunkts of this vintage. The other may be an audio output for an external amplifier (not sure of this).

CW
Charlie White

DAVID GRIFFIN
356 Fan

#10 Post by DAVID GRIFFIN »

Excellent Charlie ! That make sense It means I have a faulty Radio and will send if off after the holiday ,to the repairers

many thanks for your help

David

Charlie White
356 Fan

#11 Post by Charlie White »

For repairs, I would highly recommend Wilford Wilkes, Vintage European radio repair and sales, 814-378-8526, Fax: 814-378-6149, no email (also in the Registry Vendor List). I had Wilford repair my Blaupunkt Koln about a year ago, and it works great!

CW
Charlie White

AlexFord
356 Fan

#12 Post by AlexFord »

Suggest one other item: The radio knobs. Sometimes, one or both knobs to the Blaupunkt are lost. These include 356 units and the ones for the 912 Blaupunkts of 1965/6, official overlap years of the 356/912 years/series. How many radios are abandoned because the knob have been lost or parished? A different subject (knobs) on a same subject: Blaupunkt for Porsche. I suppose if one had a single knob, one could carve or turn on a lathe a similar knob. One of my sins was totally a complete numbers matching 1966 912 of Light Ivory. I was paid by the insurance co. and someone bought the whole lot. Don't know what happened to it. But I inherited two pieces from that car. A deluxe Wood Porsche steering wheel; and a stock original Blaupunkt radio. The radio suffers at the minimum from the loss of one knob. I looked at the knob style and noted that it is a fluted knob which matches the otherwise similar 912/911 (tuning) knobs on the dash. I also note that there are nice design lines of "petals" on the fluted knobs. Hmm. Thus far, my various efforts on the net have resulted in no hits for a single knob that matches the style of the remaining knob (vol.) on the radio. My solution has been to go to a machinist to find out if a program can be made to duplicate the knob so that a CAD HAAS-type machine can make a duplicate set of matching knobs out of aluminum. This is not yet done. The idea is to duplicate the original knobs out of aluminum and then black anodize the appropriate parts of the knobs to make them look like the originals, leaving the remainder of the knobs "bright" so that it resembles the originals. There will not be the rubberized exterior, but the knobs will look and work as the originals. I will remember to put two holes in the knobs and to thread them to accept the stock set screws. Thus a matching set of knobs which sometimes cannot be obtained are then, at the very least, part of this X series Blaupunkt three band X series radio and it once again can be functional after a repair. - Alex Ford, Simi Valley, Ca. 93063

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#13 Post by Alan Hall »

David,
When you did your test did you have an antenna connected? If not it will act sort of as you describe. A cheap mast type antenna from your FLAPS will work fine for checkout. Extend the antenna all the way when checking.
Alan

Charlie White
356 Fan

#14 Post by Charlie White »

Ditto Alan's comment, and be aware don't turn on the power to a Blaupunkt radio without speakers plugged in.

CW
Charlie White

Russ Collins
356 Fan

#15 Post by Russ Collins »

David,
The plastic plugs on the rear have to be inserted in the radio for it to work. There are audio shorting bars inside the plugs to make up the audio circuits when no external devices are connected. Some radios were provided with an internal jumper on the input jack as well, but it may have been removed by a previous owner. This is shown in the attached rear view schematic as PU (Pickup), and is wired between pins 1 and 2 of the input jack. This jumper or the plug should be there unless you have an external audio device. Hope this is your problem as it is an easy fix!
Russ.
Attachments
ScreenShot001.jpg
ScreenShot001.jpg (20.01 KiB) Viewed 6539 times
Russ