speaker connections to a Blaupunkt radio

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Russ Collins
356 Fan

Re: speaker connections to a Blaupunkt radio

#16 Post by Russ Collins »

Alex,
I have a bin full of old Blaupunkt knobs. Post a photo of the one you need and maybe we can match it.
Russ.
Russ

DAVID GRIFFIN
356 Fan

#17 Post by DAVID GRIFFIN »

Hi Russ Wow Its like magic There was a cut off lead plugged into the second socket [see photo] which had been cut off presumably the previous owner must have removed a piece of equipment when he sold the car. Anyway I shorted out the very fine wires from the plug and hey presto the radio works . I am just using a piece of wire on the bench to act as an ariel and a single speaker but I am encouraged that the set works on all wave bands. I will now reinstall the radio into the car.
A sincere thanks to all the contributors when the issue started off quite simply and developed to save me a lot of dollars Thanks Charlie for your helpful comments . I had planned to send the radio back to Germany to AUTORADIO J WAGNER whose sticker was on the radio. I assume he supplied it or had serviced it in the past
I particularly would like to thank Russ for the message to apply i short circuit to the plug on the back. I had virtually packed up the radio to send it off for repair.saving me time and dollars. Another example how the Registry helps its members

Best wishes to all for 2013

DAVID GRIFFIN
356 Fan

#18 Post by DAVID GRIFFIN »

Hi Russ My koln is in quite good shape and I now have it working on all four wavebands on my desk. I have all the knobs etc
One question Is the small white adjuxstment knob below the two multi pin sockets used for tuning the antenna or how do you adjust it [see my photo]

Thanks in advance
David

Russ Collins
356 Fan

#19 Post by Russ Collins »

Hi David,
Glad to hear that solved the problem! The small white knob is to match your vehicle's antenna to the radio on the AM band. After the radio is in the car, tune to an AM station about mid-way on the dial and adjust the white knob for maximum volume. This works only for AM.
Russ.
Russ

DAVID GRIFFIN
356 Fan

#20 Post by DAVID GRIFFIN »

Thanks a lot Russ I assumed the adjustment was something to do with the antenna. I am about to reinstall the radio in the car and will see if there is any effect in adjusting the knob. I dont expect a lot to happen.
Russ just as a matter of interest are you a professional car radio expert or just a 356 nut like me? Can you suggest where I could obtain a data sheet for my KOLN radio with 4 bands with the serial number starting with an X

Charlie, is this something you could help with?

all th best for 2013

Russ Collins
356 Fan

#21 Post by Russ Collins »

David,
My father bought a sunroof coupe in 1959 which I still have and drive often. So far I've restored it twice and am currently running engine version 3.3. I've also repaired/restored many Blaupunkt radios for early Porsches mostly as a hobby.

You can find technical data for your radio at http://www.radiomuseum.org by entering "Blaupunkt Koln" into the search box on their main page.
Russ.
Russ

DAVID GRIFFIN
356 Fan

#22 Post by DAVID GRIFFIN »

Thanks Russ The websight is fine and gives me as much info as I need. Thr radio is now installed in my 356C and it is a pleasure to have it working. One thing Russ .I was startled when I inadvertantly pressed the tuning knob and the tuning was motor driven from one end of the scale to the other continously Quite impressive ! I noticed that if I turned the switch under the tuning knob it stopped on preselected programmes. I suppose this was state of the art in 1966
sincere thanks David

Russ Collins
356 Fan

#23 Post by Russ Collins »

David,
The Blaupunkt Koln was the top of the line in 1966, selling for 595DM. You are fortunate to have one with auto-tuning that still works!
Russ

DAVID GRIFFIN
356 Fan

#24 Post by DAVID GRIFFIN »

Hi Russ, Being an obvious Black Belt in Blaupunkt radios. I have another question .
Having played with the tuning . I dont see how to select the programmes which the auto tuner stops on. I seems to only work on U [FM] not the other wave bands . Is this correct or a fault on the radio?

Question How do you select the stations the auto stops on and does the two position switch under the black tuning knob have something to do with it?

Your help much appreciated

Russ Collins
356 Fan

#25 Post by Russ Collins »

David,
The auto tuning, or scanning, should work on all bands. The switch determines the strength of the signal that stops the scanner. One position causes it to stop on strong signals only, while the other stops on weaker signals. Red (Right Hand) position is sensitive, stopping at signals of at least 10 microvolts. The other position is insensitive, stopping at signals of at least 100 microvolts. These levels are for the FM band, but the M, L, and K bands have similar ratios. An FM mobile signal of 10 microvolts may likely be noisy. So scan for strong stations in your area and set the pushbuttons to them by pulling the button out all the way while on the station of your choice, then push it back in.
Russ.
Russ

DAVID GRIFFIN
356 Fan

#26 Post by DAVID GRIFFIN »

Hi Russ Judging by the time of your reply you must go to bed late. I just tried the self seek function on K,M and L and didnt achieve any selection. It could be that the car is in my garage and has low signal strengths. I will try outside sometime when it stops raining. On FM I acheived 14 stops with the control switch to the right on max sensitivty and 8 on low sensitivity which is fine. If the selection doesnt work on the other bands then so be it. There are only one or two stations worth listening to anyway
again many hanks for your continual stream of great info
David

DAVID GRIFFIN
356 Fan

#27 Post by DAVID GRIFFIN »

Hi Russ I have not been able to get selection on the other bands[L,M,K] so I assume I have a problem. Is there one of your quick fixes or is this a big deal if I want to get if repaired?best rgds David

Russ Collins
356 Fan

#28 Post by Russ Collins »

Hi David,
Sorry, no quick fix on this one. There are controls inside the radio to adjust auto-tuning sensitivity on each band, but since all three am bands (K,M,L) don't work it looks like the am part of the auto-tuner signal amplifier needs some attention. I'm assuming you hear signals on these bands when you tune it manually. If so, you may want to just leave it and enjoy it the way it is!
Russ

DAVID GRIFFIN
356 Fan

#29 Post by DAVID GRIFFIN »

Thanks Russ I suspected as much. I am happy to leave the auto select on FM and just preselect the programmes on LW and MW. I can just leave SW on a playwith basis
with thanks David

wayne widner
356 Fan

#30 Post by wayne widner »

Charlie, very helpful picture of the radio plug set up. I had not seen the plug before.
Do you happen to know if those are available anywhere or do I need to make one using banana connectors? I have checked the usual suspects to no avail and have not be able to locate the pins either (they look like the European electrical plug pins).