1965 356C Coupe

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Wes Bender
356 Fan

Re: 1965 356C Coupe (221864)

#16 Post by Wes Bender »

WD 40 is a "water dispersing" solvent that is really good at softening a lot of gummy residues. I use it all the time to remove the sticky residue from manufacturers/distributors labels.

WD 40 and duct tape will solve about 90% of your problems........

Cheers,
Wes
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Alex Parmenter
356 Fan

#17 Post by Alex Parmenter »

Wes

I'm with you on the WD40, I use it for all sorts of clean up jobs, probably more than its intended use.

Planning to repaint the fuel tank and reinstall this weekend. Also some more painting under the front end.

Alex
Always searching for parts for my Oct 54 Pre A coupe including these:
2 piece engine case to #336XX
Gear knob
Front bumper
Passenger sun visor
Bosch SH/ZS4/1 Ignition switch
Vigot jack (late 54)

Alex Parmenter
356 Fan

#18 Post by Alex Parmenter »

Well I spent a frustrating few hours lying under the dash with my hand stuck in the central tunnel trying to replace the short fuel hose section. I tried to use 5/16th ID fuel injection hose but found it too tight, could only get it on the line about 1/2" and I wasn't happy with that. So I gave up and have ordered some 7mm ID hose instead, will try again this weekend. Got the fuel tank finished now though, sprayed in epoxy primer then 2k light grey topcoat.

I also sprayed a can of carb cleaner thought the long fuel line, then blew through with air, quite a lot of muck came out, so should be clean now.
Gear knob
Front bumper
Passenger sun visor
Vigot jack (late 54)

Leo Hudson
356 Fan

#19 Post by Leo Hudson »

7mm ID is smaller than 5/16" ID ~.280" vs. .312" I find that 5/16" hose usually works , Might try using some rubber lubricant.
Leo

Alex Parmenter
356 Fan

#20 Post by Alex Parmenter »

Leo
Your right, I got my numbers mixed. I was using 1/4" hose (6.4mm) and this was too tight, hoping the 7mm is ok. I'll try agin this weekend

Alex
Gear knob
Front bumper
Passenger sun visor
Vigot jack (late 54)

Cliff Hanson
356 Fan

#21 Post by Cliff Hanson »

I stripped all the undercoating off my 64C (original plus some other put on later) using a heat gun to soften it and a putty knife. I think that there are probably lots of solvents which will soften and remove the asphalt based undercoating. Easier after you get most of the thicker layer off first. I hadn't heard of WD40 but obviously it works well.

Wurth does a really nice job. I think you will like it as much as your paint as it can be applied thin and uniform with a good Wurth gun. It will never be easier than now.
Cliff Hanson
1964 356SC

Bruce Caswell
356 Fan

#22 Post by Bruce Caswell »

Nice Solid looking car and its really cleaning up nicely. It will look really nice when compleated.
Keep up the good work.
Bruce

Alex Parmenter
356 Fan

Re: 1965 356C Coupe

#23 Post by Alex Parmenter »

Bruce
Many thanks, I managed a bit more progress over the holidays. New fuel hoses from front to back c/w new clamps. Got all wheel arch areas painted and the repainted and lined gas tank back in. Changed transmission fluid, checked valves, new oil, set points etc. Fired her up and sounded good for a while, then the float fuel valve suck open and dumped a load of gas everywhere. Tried to clean out and free up but same issue. I got my new valves and rebuild kit from Al Zim today (great service and very fast shipping, thanks!). So will be playing with the carbs this weekend (solex p4o, split shafts).

Nice to have it back on the ground now though. I expect I'll be posting for some carb set up help over the next week or so!
Gear knob
Front bumper
Passenger sun visor
Vigot jack (late 54)

Alex Parmenter
356 Fan

#24 Post by Alex Parmenter »

Stripped down my carbs and found the cause of my flooding carb. Someone had screwed the float bowl adjustment all the way in and bent the mechanism, this caused the float to jam. All straightened out, all jets cleaned, idles set to stock starting point. I set the float height on the car and also adjusted the throttle linkage. The car is running how it should now, idles well and smooth acceleration.

I also checked my transmission side plate (usual leaks) and found two nuts loose, so tightened and leak reduced :D

So drove into work today, car running well and 75 degs and sunny, happy days!
Gear knob
Front bumper
Passenger sun visor
Vigot jack (late 54)

Alex Parmenter
356 Fan

#25 Post by Alex Parmenter »

Three years later and still running strong! Just added the original headrests and a set of Marchal fogs

Gear knob
Front bumper
Passenger sun visor
Vigot jack (late 54)

M Penta
356 Fan

#26 Post by M Penta »

Those are some nice original floors, and nice job on those wheel wells. I am assuming you are stripping every bit of old undercoat from entire car that way?

I did similar with mine to the entire bottom of car (the hard/messy way, wish I tried the WD 40). However I did not go all the way up into wheel wells since the stuff higher up was on there really well. I can imagine how much work all 4 wheel wells must have been, they are really big/deep!

I need to do similar repairs to my tank, do you recommend the POR tank stuff? (I generally agree about your statement on POR 15, except it does have its place in some pitted metal situations).