1952 Pre A Project Car

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
James Wilde
356 Fan

1952 Pre A Project Car

#1 Post by James Wilde »

I have a 1952 Pre A and a 1953 Pre A.
I would like to restore the 53 as it has the original motor and the 52 does not have a engine.
I’m wondering if I could, should or should not sell the 52 to finance the build of the 53.
What would the 52 bring, should keep both ???
Any opinions would be appreciated.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: 1952 Pre A Project Car

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Restoration won't be cheap as you know so your decision. I have a friend with a 4 digit chassis number that he drove when in college. Built 3/30 /51 Do yours have wooden garnish rails?
Attachments
IMG_1314.JPG
IMG_1314.JPG (916.74 KiB) Viewed 1147 times
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#3 Post by Adam Wright »

52's are very unique in a lot of ways. I would throw it on ebay with a healthy reserve and let the market speak. I've only found one 52, it was rough.
Attachments
52matt.jpg
52matt.jpg (163.95 KiB) Viewed 1105 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#4 Post by James Davies »

Tell us more about both cars. Depending on the the condition and more importantly, completeness, a 1952 could bring a good sum.

I don't think there's a lot to pick between the 1952 and 1953 cars in terms of value, though clearly matching numbers will get a premium, all else equal, but of course not all else is ever equal. Original paint color matters. Original engine type. Original specs, etc. I'm assuming a bent-window 1952.

Eric Lenius
356 Fan
Tag: More is More

#5 Post by Eric Lenius »

Which do you like better? What colors are they supposed to be and do you like one more than the other? Do you value the original engine over the color? Which one requires less work? Heavy restorations are time consuming and or expensive depending on how much you do. A good place to start might be to ask yourself what is important to you rather than worry over what is important to everyone else (and, worrying over value). I personally like details. So things like matching number engines are personally interesting to me. For all of us the joy in these cars should be in driving and maintaining them. And, the engine matching does little in that department. With the number of fraudulently stamped engines out there now, it may become pointless at some point anyway. A thought exercise might be to envision a scenario where you could afford to buy one restored car and both of your cars were done up in the original colors. If you could buy one of the cars finished, parked side by side, which one would it be?

Tony Madsen
356 Fan
Tag: I find dreams; you make them reality.
Instagram: germanjalopies

#6 Post by Tony Madsen »

James--I'm interested if you want to let go one of your early cars go in the future. thanks, Tony
See my 1957 speedster "backyard find" story in September\October 356registry magazine. I am always looking for an old Porsche to write stories about or interesting stories about an old Porsche to relay for the magazine.
germanjalopies.com