Da Spoodster!

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Jim Nelson
356 Fan

Re: Da Spoodster!

#151 Post by Jim Nelson »

You can make a lot of progress when it's really cold out….

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#152 Post by Adam Wright »

It was only -4 when I got up this morning, turned into a pretty warm day, a balmy 27 now.

I can get it up to about 50 in the shop, warm enough to weld, not enough to do paint and body.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#153 Post by Adam Wright »

Working on finishing out little bits, like the rear fender tips. Obviously, A rear is different, and I used a B notchback open car rear, and couple that with the coupe/open car differences, I opted to make the fender tips, rather than try to line up the ones that were there. It came out decent, there is still a lot of mud in the rear lip of the car, so I didn't drive myself crazy trying to get it perfect. Like worrying about what steak sauce to use on your burger, it isn't steak, don't act like it is!
I had just enough time to get the new rocker fitted, finally got the old one with the brazed on pipe off of there. Remember the pipe the one so the guy had a big lip to bondo against, so he could lay it in there two inches thick. Crazy, just crazy.
But the day is out of time, oh well.
Attachments
spood163.JPG
spood164.JPG
spood165.JPG
spood166.JPG
spood167.JPG
spood168.JPG
spood169.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#154 Post by Adam Wright »

Here's one more shot that shows the rocker.
Attachments
spood170.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#155 Post by Steve Harrison »

Don'tcha just love it...when you get to the parts that actually SHOW,..it's a whole lot faster and goes a little easier. All that slogging before down in the bowels is never really seen. Great progress in the cold Adam.
East Coast Holiday or bust?

: )

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#156 Post by Adam Wright »

Steve Harrison wrote:Great progress in the cold Adam.
East Coast Holiday or bust?

: )
This is what it was when I woke up yesterday. They didn't warn me about this when I moved here.
Attachments
fincold.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#157 Post by Rusty Willey »

Nice work Adam!!! I was just reading another thread you started regarding a 16 hour round trip to pick up a new rig that ended around 1:00AM!!! You sure know how to stay focused and make every day count! :D
Don't hate me for driving Volkswagens.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#158 Post by Adam Wright »

Rusty, when you work for yourself, your boss can be a real ball buster.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#159 Post by Justin Rio »

I thought I recognized those quarter panel caps your using by the cuts and that pastel color lurking under your primer. A mutual friend of ours must have passed them onto you after I sent them to him several years ago. Glad to see they found home. Below are photos from a previous life... Justin
Attachments
They started out as full Trevor marshall quarter panels. I really wanted only the caps to run with my coupe fenders but he wouldn't work with me and said I'd have to buy the entire fender. Once I begin mocking them up it as clearly apparent how misshapen they were as a unit so I cut them for the caps I needed and sold the fender wells on Ebay to try and recoup some of my money.
They started out as full Trevor marshall quarter panels. I really wanted only the caps to run with my coupe fenders but he wouldn't work with me and said I'd have to buy the entire fender. Once I begin mocking them up it as clearly apparent how misshapen they were as a unit so I cut them for the caps I needed and sold the fender wells on Ebay to try and recoup some of my money.
Here they are cut and mounted on my coupster back in '03. I would later find an entire original speedster rear skin which is why I let these go. Use them in good health! Justin
Here they are cut and mounted on my coupster back in '03. I would later find an entire original speedster rear skin which is why I let these go. Use them in good health! Justin

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#160 Post by Adam Wright »

It's ironic how life works, I spend the last year cobbling together a Speedster rear end using your pieces, a Notchback rear end, and a fabbed up middle section, and guess what hit my door last week? Yup, a Speedster rear clip.
It's like when you get a girlfriend and all the ladies are interested, but when you didn't have a girl, they all ran away. Feast or famine!
Another irony, guess where the rear clip is going, yup, to our mutual friend!
Attachments
roadster.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#161 Post by Adam Wright »

Got both rockers on today, took some wiggling and stuff, but they are on.
I am right on track for wrapping up the first stage of bodywork by the end of Feb. than off for mechanicals, than back for stage two of the body work this summer.
Attachments
spood171.JPG
spood172.JPG
spood173.JPG
spood174.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#162 Post by Adam Wright »

The original plan was to go in this morning and knock out a few hours on the car, but when you have little kids, sometimes it is family first. We did stop by the shop, but it was just to show Avi how hot air works. We hooked up the heat blaster and a fan, and threw balloons into the hot air stream and watched them stay up for a long time. It was fun. Max and I did it the week before and Avi really wanted to try it. Learning is fun and they are only young once, the car will be there long after they are grown up.
Attachments
3.JPG
8.JPG
2.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#163 Post by Adam Wright »

Officially entered the boring phase today, welding up holes and grinding welds, snoozer....

The car is leaving soon to go get the mechanicals done, so I primed it since it will be out in the weather and sitting for a few months being worked on.

With the car black you can start to see what the final result will look like.

ECH, here we come!!!!!!!!!
Attachments
spood175.JPG
spood177.JPG
spood176.JPG
spood178.JPG
spood180.JPG
spood179.JPG
spood181.JPG
spood182.JPG
spood184.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#164 Post by Adam Wright »

Starting working on the hard tonneau, so far so good.
Attachments
spood188.JPG
spood187.JPG
spood186.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#165 Post by Adam Wright »

The sun is shining today so I thought the car might like some fresh air. Actually, I am taking it to a friend's place tomorrow to help me with the metal tonneau. I built the buck today but figured I would bring in someone who is better than me for the metal shaping.
Attachments
spood194.JPG
spood192.JPG
spood191.JPG
spood190.JPG
spood190.JPG (60 KiB) Viewed 4605 times
spood189.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com