Da Spoodster!

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Steve Harrison
356 Fan

Re: Da Spoodster!

#121 Post by Steve Harrison »

I've got the cheap part covered,...free.
It pays to know a tree service guy, only thing is it's, "some disassembly required". I try to keep at least five cords ahead so it's good and dry.
wood1.jpg
wood2.jpg
30 ft celings? Wow.
I like your regimine, I have one of those "salamander" heaters also, but I don't use it anymore, the exhaust started giving me instant headaches. The next shop in CA will be better insulated so the wood stove can handle it. I like your gas heater for start up, good idea, I'll probably go that route too.

And here's a design tip I thought up and am also going to incorporate into the new shop. Build a wood box into the wall that's got a swing away door to the outside. Make it BIG. This way you can open it up, load 'er up and never have to open the shop doors, or carry each load in individually. I'm also going to build the roofed woodshed right there so it's all in one place. Coming from someone who's heated exclusively with wood for over 15 years, it's a design that I've always dreamed of.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#122 Post by Adam Wright »

I do straight wood at my house, but do pellets at the shop, they are a lot easier, they feed themselves, like teenagers!
Attachments
woodpile2013.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#123 Post by Adam Wright »

Made some good progress today, had to re-top the door jam/strickers. Speedsters have a much more sharp curve than cabs, so I topped them off. It went really well and they are not going anywhere. Hoping to fit the rear end tomorrow.
Attachments
spood105.JPG
spood106.JPG
spood107.JPG
spood108.JPG
spood109.JPG
spood111.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Ashley Page
356 Fan

#124 Post by Ashley Page »

Adam Wright wrote:I also take the chill off on the mornings with the kerosene missle which gets it up to temp, and the other heaters maintain in.
Talking about that today a work - one of the guys "who knows" said use diesel fuel in those things. You need to "fiddle the mixture" a little with the different fuel but it burns completely odorless.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#125 Post by Adam Wright »

The kerosene is pretty odorless, and it's a big space with lots of air circulating, not the mention the wood pellets give off a good smell.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#126 Post by Adam Wright »

I'm working a rare Saturday to try to get this rear end wrapped up. Got it rough fit today, still have some tweaking, but you can see it coming together.
Hopefully tomorrow will be the day, the good news is it will be above freezing so it won't take 30 minutes to warm the shop up.
Attachments
spood113.JPG
spood114.JPG
spood115.JPG
spood116.JPG
spood117.JPG
spood118.JPG
spood119.JPG
spood120.JPG
spood121.JPG
spood122.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#127 Post by Steve Harrison »

Damnit man! I love this thing!!!
You've got the "laboratory", the "donors",...and your very own verison of Igor to boot!
All you need is Frau Blucher, (insert horse neighing sound),..and a lightning bolt!

Ok,..kidding aside, you are a beast. And that car has no idea just how lucky it's life got when it found you. She might not feel like it now, with it's guts spilled all over the shop,...but someday that car WILL thank you with many smiles, miles, and conversations. I'd wish you luck, but I rather think you'd want me to wish you spare time instead, haha. Time without interruptions,...the marriedwithchildrenandabusinesstorun man's rarest commodity.
Enjoy your Saturday!

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#128 Post by Adam Wright »

I'm gonna tell John you called him Igor, he will probably throw you over his shoulder like this gearbox. And we have shop minions, little dumb four legged ones, but I think the UPS is scared of them.
Attachments
dolosadieride.JPG
bigjohngearbox.jpeg
bigjohngearbox.jpeg (26.17 KiB) Viewed 4000 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#129 Post by Adam Wright »

Very productive day, everything is laying right where I want it. A lot of little cuts but I am almost there.
Attachments
spood124.JPG
spood125.JPG
spood126.JPG
spood127.JPG
spood128.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#130 Post by Adam Wright »

Did get a lot done today, had to actually do some real work, make that money and all that. But I did get the driver's rear doorjam taken care of.
Hopefully tomorrow I can get more done.
Attachments
spood130.JPG
spood131.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#131 Post by Adam Wright »

Oh, and the truck is finally fixed from the last date with Bambi.
Attachments
truckfixed.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#132 Post by Steve Harrison »

Isn't that round two on that? or three and I missed one.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#133 Post by Adam Wright »

Yeah, poor truck, I crashed it about a year ago, this time it wasn't my fault, it was the damn deer!
Attachments
poortruckfinal.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#134 Post by Adam Wright »

One of the great innovations in welding is the automatic helmet, but when the battery starts going it is a slow process. Today it took me a minute to realize it was failing, and I got some bright eyes! New Batterys and back in the game.
Rear end is on, speedster Carrera style decklid is in place, I am starting to see the cool here.
I even got Big John in on the action today.
Next stop, the trademark Speedster hump.
Attachments
spood138.JPG
spood137.JPG
spood136.JPG
spood135.JPG
spood134.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#135 Post by Adam Wright »

Today was a classic example of two steps forward, one step back. Big John went to fit the doors today and they didn't quite fit. I had been dry fitting them while I did the surrounding metal work, but in hindsight I should have done more actual fitting.
The end result is we had to cut and move both latch jams and re-shape the fender lip on the passenger side.
But both doors are now hung and latch. I am going to try to get the Speedster hump done by Friday, because I have to deliver the template car next week.
Attachments
spood139.JPG
spood140.JPG
spood141.JPG
spood142.JPG
spood145.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com